Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Couple of Questions / Issues with Kit Kat

I haven't been here in awhile and my site searches weren't effective enough to provide the answers I'm looking for so here goes.

I purchased a Nexus 7 for my young son and created a Restricted User Profile for him. I have two questions / concerns that I need to understand better.

1) When I download a game for him and provide him access to it, everything works great. However, if I uninstall it from the root account, it still remains in his user account until I log-in as him and uninstall it again. Why is it necessary that I delete the game from both accounts or is there a better way to remove programs?

2) The Google Play store was frozen on the Nexus and it wouldn't sync my profile to the google servers, so I ended up needing to do a factory reset. I tried using Helium Premium to back up all the files, but Helium only allows you to run it from the master account. My fears were realized when I logged in as my son and saw that he has lost all progress on every game that he played. He's not even that upset about it, but he has to start over with everything. Is there a reasonably effective way to backup a restricted profile's application info?

Appreciate any insight you guys can provide.

Global Posts
    26,122 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Couple of Questions / Issues with Kit Kat

Maybe there is a better way to do all this. Instead of a restricted user, how about installing an app like App Lock? That puts a password on things like the browser, App Lock itself, Settings, etc, so that only authorized users can access those specific areas. As long as he doesn't intentionally go and reset the device, that should act as a good barricade.

Helium I heard was hit and miss when it comes to saving data. Titanium Backup is better, but you need to be rooted for that one.
    ‚Äč
    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry