Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android 4.4 authentication *showstopper* issue. "Couldn't sign in....."

Hi. I really could do with some help here

I own a Galaxy S4. Since the kit kat update, the OS has been flaky and my phone keeps rebooting itself, which while pretty bizarre, I can live with it since, up to now, the phone has worked well, and the re-boot is speedy.

However, as of 5 days ago, I have managed to hit a pretty significant issue.

Firstly, I could not visit Google Play or even access my email and I do not know what triggered this. It seemed that it was random. Upon trying to re-authenticate, using correct credentials, I got the following message:

"Couldn't sign in

There was a problem communicating with Google servers

Try again later"

After getting this message 20 something times over the last 5 days, I no longer have the belief that "Trying again later" is going to fix this issue.

To make matters worse I tried removing my google account, which now has resulted in me not having any contacts on my phone.

I have read around a few forums and most of the tabled solutions talk about turning off 2 step authentication. Whilst that is great if it fixes someone else's issue, I have never had it on hence it is of no use to me.

If you are able to help, it really would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards, Rob

Default Re: Android 4.4 authentication *showstopper* issue. "Couldn't sign in....."

Dear Rob,

I had exactly the same problem with my Galaxy S4 after the upgrade to Android 4.4.2 yesterday. This morning I shut down the phone took out the SIM card, did another restart of the phone and then it worked. Despite the fact that it had already done a restart after the software update, it needed one more. Of course I did plug in the SIM card afterwards and everything is still fine.

In case that does not help: I uninstalled all updated to Chrome yesterday night and emptied the Chrome cache and data, but I don't think this is related to the problem solving.

Best regards,
    Christoph