Google Speech to text not working OFF-LINE!

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I was in an elevator, was trying to record a note to self.

When I pressed the record button in the app, the google red mic in a circle appeared.

I got an error saying I had no internet connection.

What's up with that? I thought it was supposed to work offline?

BTW, I own swiftkey keyboard (I didn't try the same elevator experiment using that)

Thanks for any tips,
Mike

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
It can work, assuming your device supports it, but you need to make sure you have the correct language packs downloaded. Again, depending on your device you can access this though Google (the search/Now app on your phone) in Settings -> Voice -> Offline speech recognition or in your device settings (different manufacturers do different things here, but on stock Android it's under Language & input and either "Voice Search" or "Google voice typing" ). However you manage to find it, hit "Offline speech recognition". You can manage downloaded languages from there.

Bear in mind that very old versions of Android don't support this either, but I'm just assuming because you posted in the 4.4 forum that's not an issue.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Zorak950. I should have mentioned that I'm rocking a Galaxy Note 3 (kitkat).

I was looking around, but never thought to look in the google now app settings. BTW, when I looked there, it does show English 22MB under installed. If I go in under settings ( language and input | google voice typing), it takes me to the same screen.

I did see that somehow my hotword detection was set to ON though I'm sure I had turned it off at some point.

I guess I need another elevator test tonight using google now Maybe my note2self app voice detection was using something else maybe.

Thanks a bunch!

Mike

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12