mini-pc/tv stick storage issue

imaddicted2u

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I have a mini-pc/tv stick running KitKat. It is a model MK809III and has a quad core Rockchip RK3188 processor, 8GB Rom and 2GB ram
Even though I have lots of storage space, I have an issue with downloads and apps quickly filling up the NAND FLASH and I have to delete some previous downloads and apps in order to download new files and apps.
When I look in the storage app in settings here is what I see, how can I make use of the Available storage? What am I missing?
INTERNAL STORAGE
Total space
5.91GB
Available
5.31GB
Apps (appdata & media content)
424MB
Cached data
0.89MB

NAND FLASH
Total space
312MB
Available
91.05MB
Apps (appdata & media content)
227MB
Pictures, videos
152KB
Audio (music, ringtones, podcasts, etc.)
120KB
Downloads
24.00KB
Cached data
104KB
Misc.
44.25MB

SD CARD
Total space
29.44GB
Available
29.44GB

imaddicted2u

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Yes, that is expected when the internal memory capacity is limited.
I don't understand, Both the NAND flash and the internal storage are inside the device. Internal storage shows 5.31GB available. Is there any way to move things, such as downloads, to that area or to the SD card? I bought a 32GB micro SD card and haven't figured out how to use it.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand, Both the NAND flash and the internal storage are inside the device. Internal storage shows 5.31GB available. Is there any way to move things, such as downloads, to that area or to the SD card? I bought a 32GB micro SD card and haven't figured out how to use it.

Starting with Kitkat Google has seen fit to disable writing user-selected files to the external SD card in Android. Why? Looks like they don't want your stuff on your (external) SD card, because they want your stuff in their cloud. That's easier for them (and the NSA/DHS) to monitor.
Not that Google (and the NSA/DHS) would ever do something as sneaky (and unconstitutional) as that of course!
So the external SD card is now read-only with the exception of specific apps that still can write to external SD card storage.

Last edited:

imaddicted2u

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Starting with Kitkat Google has seen fit to disable writing user-selected files to the external SD card in Android. Why? Looks like they don't want your stuff on your (external) SD card, because they want your stuff in their cloud. That's easier for them (and the NSA/DHS) to monitor.
Not that Google (and the NSA/DHS) would ever do something as sneaky (and unconstitutional) as that of course!
So the external SD card is now read-only with the exception of specific apps that still can write to external SD card storage.

Thanks Vsweety,
I'm unhappy that I seem to be stuck with only 312MB (85MB left) of device app and download storage space even though, when I go into Settings/Apps, Internal storage shows 495MB used and 5.4GB free. What is the point of putting 8GB of Rom storage space in a device if it is unusable?
Pretty sad too that I wasted my money on a 32GB external micro SD card, thanks Google!

imaddicted2u

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Update:
I reflashed my device using the same rom but this time I used a different parameter file. I was using a file that was supposed to partition the flash for 6GB. For some reason It only gave me 312MB of app space and 5.91GB Total internal storage.
The parameter file I used in the reflash was a 4GB parameter file. It gives me NAND flash Total space as 2.3GB and Internal Storage as 3.94GB.
Curiously it still totals to around 6GB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith