Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default mini-pc/tv stick storage issue

    I have a mini-pc/tv stick running KitKat. It is a model MK809III and has a quad core Rockchip RK3188 processor, 8GB Rom and 2GB ram
    Even though I have lots of storage space, I have an issue with downloads and apps quickly filling up the NAND FLASH and I have to delete some previous downloads and apps in order to download new files and apps.
    When I look in the storage app in settings here is what I see, how can I make use of the Available storage? What am I missing?
    INTERNAL STORAGE
    Total space
    5.91GB
    Available
    5.31GB
    Apps (appdata & media content)
    424MB
    Cached data
    0.89MB

    NAND FLASH
    Total space
    312MB
    Available
    91.05MB
    Apps (appdata & media content)
    227MB
    Pictures, videos
    152KB
    Audio (music, ringtones, podcasts, etc.)
    120KB
    Downloads
    24.00KB
    Cached data
    104KB
    Misc.
    44.25MB

    SD CARD
    Total space
    29.44GB
    Available
    29.44GB
  2. #2  
    Vsweety's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    410 Posts
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

    Default Re: mini-pc/tv stick storage issue

    Quote Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
    I have an issue with downloads and apps quickly filling up the NAND FLASH and I have to delete some previous downloads and apps in order to download new files and apps.
    Yes, that is expected when the internal memory capacity is limited.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: mini-pc/tv stick storage issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Vsweety View Post
    Yes, that is expected when the internal memory capacity is limited.
    I don't understand, Both the NAND flash and the internal storage are inside the device. Internal storage shows 5.31GB available. Is there any way to move things, such as downloads, to that area or to the SD card? I bought a 32GB micro SD card and haven't figured out how to use it.
  4. #4  
    Vsweety's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    410 Posts
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

    Default Re: mini-pc/tv stick storage issue

    Quote Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
    I don't understand, Both the NAND flash and the internal storage are inside the device. Internal storage shows 5.31GB available. Is there any way to move things, such as downloads, to that area or to the SD card? I bought a 32GB micro SD card and haven't figured out how to use it.
    Starting with Kitkat Google has seen fit to disable writing user-selected files to the external SD card in Android. Why? Looks like they don't want your stuff on your (external) SD card, because they want your stuff in their cloud. That's easier for them (and the NSA/DHS) to monitor.
    Not that Google (and the NSA/DHS) would ever do something as sneaky (and unconstitutional) as that of course!
    So the external SD card is now read-only with the exception of specific apps that still can write to external SD card storage.
    Last edited by Vsweety; 04-19-2014 at 04:24 PM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: mini-pc/tv stick storage issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Vsweety View Post
    Starting with Kitkat Google has seen fit to disable writing user-selected files to the external SD card in Android. Why? Looks like they don't want your stuff on your (external) SD card, because they want your stuff in their cloud. That's easier for them (and the NSA/DHS) to monitor.
    Not that Google (and the NSA/DHS) would ever do something as sneaky (and unconstitutional) as that of course!
    So the external SD card is now read-only with the exception of specific apps that still can write to external SD card storage.
    Thanks Vsweety,
    I'm unhappy that I seem to be stuck with only 312MB (85MB left) of device app and download storage space even though, when I go into Settings/Apps, Internal storage shows 495MB used and 5.4GB free. What is the point of putting 8GB of Rom storage space in a device if it is unusable?
    Pretty sad too that I wasted my money on a 32GB external micro SD card, thanks Google!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: mini-pc/tv stick storage issue

    Update:
    I reflashed my device using the same rom but this time I used a different parameter file. I was using a file that was supposed to partition the flash for 6GB. For some reason It only gave me 312MB of app space and 5.91GB Total internal storage.
    The parameter file I used in the reflash was a 4GB parameter file. It gives me NAND flash Total space as 2.3GB and Internal Storage as 3.94GB.
    Curiously it still totals to around 6GB.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2014, 06:05 PM
  2. Deleting device storage folders?
    By Jalopiejoe in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-19-2014, 11:24 AM
  3. SD Card "issues" WHERE IS ALL OF MY MUSIC & PHOTOS?!!
    By robbski300 in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-19-2014, 07:05 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2014, 06:53 PM
  5. Galaxy s4 mini has no APN Menu.
    By InF_Coyote in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2014, 05:24 PM

Posting Permissions