Ext-formatted SD Card: same restrictions as FAT?

mrgou

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I've been reading very carefully this article explaining the new policy on SD card access.

Does this imply that permissions will work as described if I format my external SD card in Ext? I.e. would, e.g. ES File Explorer be able to handle files and subfolders in folders it created? I wouldn't mind not being able to read the card on my PC (anyway, wouldn't it be readable through NTP by USB connection?).

If yes, then how do I do that? On my Galaxy S5, if I use "Format SD Card" from the storage settings, I think it will format my "internal" SD card!

Thanks!

red.foxx15

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious about this myself. The main computer that i hook my phone up to runs linux anyways so reading the EXT format is no issue for me

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
In theory it doesn't have to be restricted if it uses a different file system, but I think Android treats the SD card the same way regardless of how it's formatted for simplicity and consistency's sake. This is me talking out of my you-know-what, though. I'm just guessing because if it worked, I can't believe we wouldn't have heard about it yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith