Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ext-formatted SD Card: same restrictions as FAT?

I've been reading very carefully this article explaining the new policy on SD card access.

Does this imply that permissions will work as described if I format my external SD card in Ext? I.e. would, e.g. ES File Explorer be able to handle files and subfolders in folders it created? I wouldn't mind not being able to read the card on my PC (anyway, wouldn't it be readable through NTP by USB connection?).

If yes, then how do I do that? On my Galaxy S5, if I use "Format SD Card" from the storage settings, I think it will format my "internal" SD card!

Thanks!

Default Re: Ext-formatted SD Card: same restrictions as FAT?

I'm curious about this myself. The main computer that i hook my phone up to runs linux anyways so reading the EXT format is no issue for me

In theory it doesn't have to be restricted if it uses a different file system, but I think Android treats the SD card the same way regardless of how it's formatted for simplicity and consistency's sake. This is me talking out of my you-know-what, though. I'm just guessing because if it worked, I can't believe we wouldn't have heard about it yet.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I've tried with an Ext4-formated card, and it wasn't even recognize. I'll have to try again with Ext2.