What happens when you "Clear credentials"?

covard

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Forgive me for posting this here as well as in my own phone forum. I would really like an answer from someone who can give me good information.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what happens when you clear credentials............

Will it only clear the user credentials and leave the System credentials? Do they come back again, upon using whatever required them to start with? What are the repercussions to doing so?

Sorry to be a nuisance, but on my own phone I show nothing under User, but many under System. On my husband's phone he appears to have the same when you are looking at Trusted credentials. However, on my phone Clear credentials is grayed out, and on his phone it is NOT.

(He wants to set back the Lockscreen to a pattern, instead of a Pin or Password, which is all that is available currently, after installing FoxFi and then uninstalling it and also deleting the certificate. He was able to use Pattern prior to the FoxFi install. I did not install FoxFi. I am wondering if just deleting the certificate was not enough and it left something out there (because the Clear credentials is not grayed out like mine). I have asked several places about the lockscreen, including a Samsung rep, and cannot seem to get a solution other than FDR and I will do that if required, but don't want to if I don't have to.)

covard

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what happens when you clear credentials............

Will it only clear the user credentials and leave the System credentials? Do they come back again, upon using whatever required them to start with? What are the repercussions to doing so?
I sent an email to FoxFi and asked them about changing the lockscreen back to a pattern. They replied that "Clear Credentials" would do the trick. And it did!

So, if anyone is wondering, when you clear credentials, it does not touch the System credentials.

Thanks,

fablis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: What happens when you "Clear credentials"?

If I use a pin for security then want to remove that pin I often find that pin option greyed out which means that I would be stuck with that pin forever being that if it's showing greyed I wouldn't be able to take the pin off, however the solution I found was to clear the credentials, this brings back the option to the pin section in security. I think after clearing I normally restart the phone.

The above was in relation to Android Lollipop 5.1.1.