What Happened to the Search Bar?

Father Tech

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
When I looked at my phone this morning [Moto X, 4.4.2] I saw that the Google search bar at the top of my home screen has changed. It's hard to describe, but it looks like a spotlight. The spotlight starts underneath the microphone on the right side of the search bar and it shines on the word 'Google' on the left side. Never saw this before.

Anyone else seeing this? Is it some new update from Google?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
What I'd really like to know is if this comes from Google or is it a sign that something is wrong with my phone.

My Moto X home screen search bar looks as it always has, no spotlight. Is it possible it's the "Spotlight Player"? Go into your apps, locate it and disable it (may need to uninstall updates first).

you can get rid of it and free up the screen real estate with Nova Launcher.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&token=yO7n4s0c

I didn't read the OP as complaining about the loss of screen real-estate, not sure Nova would solve the issue that was asked about.

Father Tech

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Good thought about the Spotlight Player. However, Motorola told me it's not from them.

I've attached a screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about. I should mention that my 'wallpaper' is a simple black background with gray dots.

Android Spotlight.png

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Here is what mine looks like. My background has a cloudy sky.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 2074.jpg
    2074.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 16

Father Tech

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I just now checked my phone and guess what? No more spotlight.

My guess is that this whole thing was related to some app, although I looked at the apps most recently updated, and nothing strikes me as having to do with a spotlight.