Changed, missing features and bugs with KitKat "upgrade"

Charles Moore3

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Just got the KitKat "upgrade" on my Verizon Motorola Razr HD. Can't say as I notice any difference in speed or security. Haven't had it long enough to notice if there is any change to battery life. What I do notice are some changed, missing features and a bug with this version of KitKat.

Changed features:
  • keyboard layout changed, comma is moved to an awkward location – how to get old keyboard layout back?
  • Settings shortcut gone from top menu bar, now requires an extra click to turn WiFi off/on for example.
  • Not a big fan of the all white theme that now pervades all the screens. Isn't a white screen tough on battery life?
    -no differentiation in WiFi between access w/o internet and access w/ internet
    -no differentiation between bluetooth on and active bluetooth connection
    -no color differentiation in Messaging text messages between sender and recipient

Missing features:
  • Mute option gone from unlock screen. I previously used this feature a lot and really miss it.

Bugs:
  • bug with Messaging notifications on circles widget. After I view a text message in Messaging it still appears in my circles widget until I click on the circle and view it from there.

Last edited:

jbeachy

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
WiFi - When WiFi has an active data connection, the 4G/LTE icon dims. I also liked the blue=data scheme.

Posted via Android Central App with my Droid MAXX

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The keyboard is updated through Google Play Store, you could try uninstalling updates, unless the layout changed on the default 4.4.2 keyboard.
For quicker access to Settings, 2-finger swipe down on the status bar.
Mute function on the lock screen and messaging notifications on the circle widget are Motorola issues, not 4.4.2 issues. Well, they ARE 4.4.2 issues but related to Motorola's implementation of it.

jdbeachy, it's not so much seeing which you're using (between 4G and WiFi) but actually seeing that there is activity. It used to be that you could see the arrows in the icon (WiFi) indicating that there was data flowing, that is no longer the case. Also, the icon was a different color if it had a connection to Google services. Case in point, my (now retired) Acer A500 would have a white WiFi icon when I was at work because it had trouble getting through the company's guest network to Google, at home the icon was blue. Oddly, my new Samsung GN 10.1 (2014) has no issue connecting to Google at work.

MF_GOON

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I was also hoping to find a way to change the color scheme of the Messaging app... I used to like the dark gray look, amd the white really bugs me. The lack of contrast between messages from either side is a pain, too.

Posted via Android Central App

jbeachy

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
<snip>
jdbeachy, it's not so much seeing which you're using (between 4G and WiFi) but actually seeing that there is activity. It used to be that you could see the arrows in the icon (WiFi) indicating that there was data flowing, that is no longer the case. Also, the icon was a different color if it had a connection to Google services. Case in point, my (now retired) Acer A500 would have a white WiFi icon when I was at work because it had trouble getting through the company's guest network to Google, at home the icon was blue. Oddly, my new Samsung GN 10.1 (2014) has no issue connecting to Google at work.

As I said, I too liked the blue. But I'm pointing out the equivalent in the new scheme. The little arrows still appear just like before in my white WiFi icon when data exchange is taking place. And instead of the icon becoming blue, when a valid data connection via WiFi is present, the 4G indicator dims.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
What I was saying is that the blue didn't just indicate a valid WiFi connection. At work, with my Acer tablet running ICS, the WiFi icon wasn't blue but still had a valid connection. Because of the protections put on the guest network, the tablet couldn't create a stable connection to Google services so the icon was grey. FWIW, my new Galaxy Note 10.1 with KK HAS arrows below the WiFi indicator and is able to make a better connection to Google services on the guest network at work, this observation is based on the ability of the tablet to get notify me of new email while the Acer couldn't. The Galaxy Note is running Samsung's TouchWiz.

My Moto X doesn't have any arrows indicating activity on the WiFi, and I recall that being a complaint when the Nexus 5 version of KK was released also.

I guess the point is, different devices may have different ways activity is displayed (or not), even devices from the same manufacturer because of the way they're skinned (or not). One thing I'm fairly certain of is that the blue WiFi icon indicated a secure or stable connection to Google, the Acer that I saw this on was a nearly-pure version of Android, as is the case with the Moto X.

Article explaining the WiFi icon changes/coloration

jbeachy

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
hallux, thanks for the link. I read the whole article carefully, and my KitKat version (current build 19.6.3) has many differences from what's described there. I can only guess that updates from Jelly Bean (which describes my situation) leave some things behind compared to a virgin KitKat flash. Examples: Email app hasn't changed; WiFi icon still has arrows (although it has the white color scheme) and with a valid WiFi connection, 4G indicator dims; phone app and dialer haven't changed; Messaging app is still present and not replaced with Hangouts.

Go figure! And there may be carrier-specific specs that explain small differences, too.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Just got the KitKat "upgrade" on my Verizon Motorola Razr HD. Can't say as I notice any difference in speed or security. Haven't had it long enough to notice if there is any change to battery life. What I do notice are some changed, missing features and a bug with this version of KitKat.

Changed features:
  • keyboard layout changed, comma is moved to an awkward location – how to get old keyboard layout back?
  • Settings shortcut gone from top menu bar, now requires an extra click to turn WiFi off/on for example.
  • Not a big fan of the all white theme that now pervades all the screens. Isn't a white screen tough on battery life?
    -no color differentiation in Messaging text messages between sender and recipient

Missing features:
  • Mute option gone from unlock screen. I previously used this feature a lot and really miss it.

Bugs:
  • bug with Messaging notifications on circles widget. After I view a text message in Messaging it still appears in my circles widget until I click on the circle and view it from there.

Try dragging 2 fingers from the top of the screen. That should bring up Quick Toggles and one less click.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
hallux, thanks for the link. I read the whole article carefully, and my KitKat version (current build 19.6.3) has many differences from what's described there. I can only guess that updates from Jelly Bean (which describes my situation) leave some things behind compared to a virgin KitKat flash. Examples: Email app hasn't changed; WiFi icon still has arrows (although it has the white color scheme) and with a valid WiFi connection, 4G indicator dims; phone app and dialer haven't changed; Messaging app is still present and not replaced with Hangouts.

Go figure! And there may be carrier-specific specs that explain small differences, too.

Does the Droid Maxx still have MotoBlur? Those are things that the manufacturer may add back or not update. On my Moto X, once I get an IP address on WiFi the 4G indicator dims, as expected. I can't say anything about the dialer (or anything about the X on JB really) as mine updated to KK almost as soon as it connected to the network. I CAN say that the X included the standard Messaging app and I needed to tell it to use Hangouts instead.

ajg617

May 24, 2014
Visit site

Changed features:

Missing features:

Bugs:

Existing bluetooth paired devices wouldn't work.
Bluetooth will not sync contacts with Audi.
Worked fine before

karinagw

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Try Hacker's Keyboard. It replicates the functionality of the old one along wiyh some other niceties.

Settings shortcut is still there. Click the block in the top right corner. Ot alternates between notifications and settings/shortcuts. Hate dialer as well as mute missing from lockscreen.

sixstringsafari

May 18, 2013
Visit site
My KitKat experience on my Razr M was it said my text messaging had unforutnately stopped, got that to go by deleting cache & data.
But now to the circle widget. It works but every now & then there is a black square where the widget should be for a second or two then its back.
I've deleted it, forced stop & rebooted but it's still doing it, not a big deal but kinda irritating.
Anyone got any ideas?

Thanx,

Greg.

LiquidGooey

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I have the same phone...I have not noticed most of those changes but I'll look closer.

What I have noticed is that none of my third party music apps work. Both amazon mp3 and Player Pro are saying they don't recognize the music format of the music playlists I've had for a couple years!...referring to MP3's!!

To clarify, I 'upgraded' yesterday and today I can't hear my music...I DJ as a side job so this is a REAL inconvenience!!

Also, the bluetooth is more jagged...not smooth at all, like something is interfering with the signal..very choppy! It was not like that the day before yesterday.

Not Cool Google!!

Charles Moore3

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
My bluetooth does work, but I just realized it is affected same as the WiFi icon. (I just updated my original post with this point.) That is, no differentiation between on and active connection. So at a glance I can't tell if it is connected to device or just on with no connection.

My guess was the thing with the WiFi previously turning blue was based on valid IP connection. Sometimes it is possible to connect to the router, but the device doesn't receive an IP number for reasons such as the external internet connection at home is down, or secondary authentication is required for say hotel guest WiFi access.

Tanya Watts

May 30, 2014
Visit site
How did you delete cache to fix your text message problem? Its driving me nuts telling me I have a bunch of unread texts and I do not.
Tanya

Posted via Android Central App