Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Default SD Card Performance

Hi all,

I'm looking to get rid of my iPhone 4S and I'm looking to get the Z1 Compact as its a powerful phone but with a small screen. Now I've read all of the reviews and info about the phone and I am happy with everything I am hearing, my only concern is that at the moment I have a 64GB iPhone so I can fill it with loads of my music but it loads really fast as its on the internal storage.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what performance is like with Android and and say a 64GB SD card filled with music. Will there be a lag when loading the player or tracks etc? I only ask because I had a Lumia 620 Windows Phone for a while and used a 64GB SD card with it and boy did it lag, the music player would take 30 seconds to boot up and then for me to start the first track it took 1 minute to load and switch screens. I'm just looking for confirmation that this kind of thing wont happen if I get the Z1C and use a 64GB SD card for my music as one of the main uses for my phone is as an mp3 player and I dont want to leave the iPhone is the Z1C will lag running music off an SD card.

Thanks in advance,

Rich
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Default Re: SD Card Performance

Anyone at all able to help me out here?

Posted via Android Central App

Absolutely no problem. As long as your device is powerful enough and you use a good quality Class 10 micro SD card. I face abslutely no lag with a ton of music and other stuff on a 32Gb ext SD card in an HTC One M7.
    Beware of Kitkat though - lots of chaos with write access to external SD card (although if you are used to an Apple that shouldnt worry you)
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Thanks for the response nofencesfacing. I've been reading up on the trouble people are having with KitKat and SD cards. The only thing I want the SD card for is music and for the phone just to read the the music off it.

Do you know of the best SD cards to buy. I know to buy class 10 but you can get cheap class 10 cards on ebay or I've seen some expensive 64GB class 10 cards on Amazon but they are like 55, are they over priced or do you really get what you pay for?

I'v been reading up on some of the read/write speeds the expensive cards have and they say they are great if your running HD films off the SD card, by that logic would a card with slower read/write speeds work just as well as all ill have on it is mp3s?

A card with slower write speeds will make it take longer to load your files onto the card, but I don't think any halfway decent card is going to have insufficient read speed to play them in a timely fashion.