Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default KitKat lockdown - Renders Android Pointless?

So I have KitKat on an AT&T Note 3. In addition to losing Wi-Fi tethering it's now impossible to root (so far).

So what's the point of Android now? If it's as hard, or dare I say, even harder to root than iOS is to jailbreak what makes it compelling? Sure it's still nice, but losing the ability to customize leaves an "eh" feeling with me.
    Banned

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

Default Re: KitKat lockdown - Renders Android Pointless?

As far as WiFi tethering goes, you can still do it, you just have to pay for it! Android is still pretty customizable with a non rooted phone!

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌

I am non-rooted, and I still find Android to be *vastly* more customizable and useful than iOS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    490 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xaqattax View Post
    So I have KitKat on an AT&T Note 3. In addition to losing Wi-Fi tethering it's now impossible to root (so far).

So what's the point of Android now? If it's as hard, or dare I say, even harder to root than iOS is to jailbreak what makes it compelling? Sure it's still nice, but losing the ability to customize leaves an "eh" feeling with me.
    I've never rooted (and probably never will) and I customize my G2 by using Apex Launcher, HD Widgets, Swiftkey Keyboard, Choice of Browsers (Chrome/Firefox/Dolphin), alternate calendar/email apps, - lots of choices (unlike iOS or WP which are pretty locked down). I have owned a Lumia 521 (no interest in iOS or any Apple device because of the Apple premium) and fail to see the fascination with the textual only Tiles interface ("Live Tiles" are nowhere near as useful as widgets) - try to tell that to WP fanboys and they'll tell you "You just don't get it".

Global Posts
    25,264 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Here is how to root the note 3 on ATT: http://galaxynote3root.com/galaxy-no...te-3-sm-n900a/

Lack of WiFi tethering can probably be tied to ATT, as most carriers try to keep users from using WiFi for free.

As for why to stay with Android, that can depend. If SD cards are really important, I am not sure who else to look at in terms of an OS.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry