Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By Philipp Yeo
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Should I kill tasks or should they stay?

People told me that killing apps is bad and it is the exact opposite of optimising and increasing battery life so I decided to delete Battery Doctor and stopped killing apps in the background.

My ram went from 60 to 70% and I (hesitatingly) said "it's okay, it's supposed to do that..." I really thought I was going to get better performance or something but instead everything started to be slower, sometimes there would be lag and swiping too fast makes the screen blurry for a few seconds.

So here is my question, should I keep it as they way it is or should I return to my task killing ways??

Global Posts
    9,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Default Re: Should I kill tasks or should they stay?

Keep it that way. Android (and other Linux based OSs) benefit from having more RAM in use. It helps with loading any apps you have already used, so the more the better. If you ever need more, the phone will automatically kill apps to make room for what you need
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2

Welcome to Android Central! In general, it is correct to say that habitually killing apps is counterproductive when it comes to CPU and battery usage, because Android works by keeping apps open in RAM in order to facilitate app opening and switching. But some apps might not work that well--they might use an inordinate amount of CPU, or they might not be coded optimally for your device, or they might be malfunctioning, etc. So in those situations, it's a good idea to kill the offending app. But if that app keeps opening and causing problems, then you may need to consider uninstalling it or disabling it.

In case you haven't already read it, here's a good article about RAM and Android by Jerry Hildenbrand: RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central
    Thanked by:
    tonyr6 
    UJ95x likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the lighting fast response you guys! So how do I know what is causing the problem? Sorry I am quite new and don't know much about android. By the way, when I was using app killers, my screen was smooth when using Google Chrome. Is this really normal to have blurry screens and lag? Because sometimes when I am typing my screen just freezes for a couple of seconds (but my keyboard is still functional).

One clue to a malfunctioning app would be excessive battery usage, which you can see in the Settings>Battery menu. In general, the top battery consumers should be Screen, Android OS, and Android System. If you've been heavily using some other app recently, that will obviously be up there as well. But if you see an app using an inordinate amount of battery that you haven't been using, then it's not working right.

You can also install one of many apps that can monitor the CPU usage of your apps. GSam Battery Monitor is a good one. That can tell you what percentage of CPU use each app has been responsible for.

What phone do you have? If the device isn't that powerful, big apps like Chrome (and yes, Chrome is fairly big and bulky when it comes to browsers) might not work that smoothly. You may want to try other 3rd party browsers out there that may be leaner.
    Thanked by 2:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I rebooted my phone and it started working back to normal! I am going to try out the app you suggested to me just in case. By the way I am using the latest Samsung galaxy S5.
    B. Diddy likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

But is it okay to kill apps like games and stuff? Does having them on reduce battery life?

And apps that I rarely use but? (for ex. I open Facebook and I won't open in again till tomorrow or something.)

Global Posts
    9,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp Yeo View Post
    But is it okay to kill apps like games and stuff? Does having them on reduce battery life?

And apps that I rarely use but? (for ex. I open Facebook and I won't open in again till tomorrow or something.)
    It doesn't affect battery life at all unless it's an app that's constantly syncing in the background. I would just leave them open.
    I have about 15 apps open ATM

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2

Whenever I kill apps using ES Task Manager after my battery goes down 1%. Really I find leaving apps open even the DI.FM app which is a battery hog only while using but when it is just running in the background not streaming my battery does not go down. Force stopping it then opening it later then drains the battery.

Also I read on a Mac forum saying that with iOS you don't have to kill apps but with Android you have do because they are always running. That person must be blowing smoke.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    ASUS Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) - Stock Android 5.1.1 on WiFi.
    LG Nexus 5 Phone (2013) - Stock Android 5.1.1 on T-Mobile LTE and WiFi.
    T-Mobile 4G LTE Signal Booster.
    Cats are the best pets.

Global Posts
    9,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Quote Originally Posted by tonyr6 View Post
    Also I read on a Mac forum saying that with iOS you don't have to kill apps but with Android you have do because they are always running. That person must be blowing smoke.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, that's not right lol. They're always running on both OSs, but you do not need to close them.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp Yeo View Post

If you eventually happen to root your phone then there are tons of apps that can help you solve the issue..greenify works like a charm by hibernating most of the apps..helps battery life..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Ankit Shah3 View Post
    If you eventually happen to root your phone then there are tons of apps that can help you solve the issue..greenify works like a charm by hibernating most of the apps..helps battery life..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    I will probably root my phone only when Samsung stops giving out android updates for the GS5.

Greenify really just force closes the apps. I use it on a non rooted devices but really all it does if you root is force close apps that you want automatically. I notice whenever I force close apps and close them using ES Task Manager my battery actually goes down 1% but leaving them open it does not as sometimes I forget to force stop them. I still force stop them though as I am always afraid that leaving them running drains battery but so far it has not happened.
    ASUS Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) - Stock Android 5.1.1 on WiFi.
    LG Nexus 5 Phone (2013) - Stock Android 5.1.1 on T-Mobile LTE and WiFi.
    T-Mobile 4G LTE Signal Booster.
    Cats are the best pets.