Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 2 Post By physioprof
  • 3 Post By aokusman
  • 1 Post By Mr Matei
  • 1 Post By suthern_man
  • 1 Post By colinps
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

Default What the heck is Google doing?

When I look at Apple, Google, and Microsoft in terms of their respective mobile operating systems, I don't really see one platform that clearly jumps out at me as the clear best platform for me. Apple gets design and functionality down, but are way too controlling (I can decide how to do things by myself, I don't need Tim Cook to do it for me). Microsoft just had no vision or goal behind Windows Phone besides that they have to have one. iOS has the simple and refined side and Android has the customization and more complex things down, who would choose a platform that does neither well and gets features far behind the competition. As for Google, they developed Android to be an open operating system where anyone can do whatever they want with it. First, it was ugly and "only for geeks", but was later made into a great mobile OS for anyone. Lately, Google has instead been focusing on pushing Google searches and features instead of fixing common problems with Android. They push Google + in the dialer, replace my gallery with a terrible Google + photos app, make Hangouts the default messaging app (when I only know one perusing who uses Hangouts), remove a lot of microSD functionality, and more, not counting all of the stupid stuff they've been doing elsewhere with stuff like forcing Google + on people, abandoning services like Voice, and making Google Now more and more intrusive. I switched from iOS to have control over my own device and to not have services forced on me, what is Google trying to do?

Default Re: What the heck is Google doing?

Well, I see your points there, but it is a Google product, so I don't begrudge their push to make things more universally integrated across all of their services. Personally, I like Google+, and I've been using it more and more. I just wish more of my friends who are entrenched in Facebook would give it a try, because I bet they'd like it more, since Facebook seems to be becoming one big ad these days. I also think the Google Photos app is actually pretty well done, and some of the Google+-related bells and whistles like Story and Auto Awesome are neat.

The restrictions on microSD writing is an effort to make things a little more secure: KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central. But I agree, it does make the SD card less useful.

You still have a lot of control over your device, because you can root it, flash custom ROMs, and remove many if not all Google apps if you prefer.

To answer your main question of what Google is trying to do, I think they are trying to make their product better and more secure for a larger and more varied customer base, rather than just a relatively small niche.
    gidgiddonihah and Evoken like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Matei View Post
    When I look at Apple, Google, and Microsoft in terms of their respective mobile operating systems, I don't really see one platform that clearly jumps out at me as the clear best platform for me. Apple gets design and functionality down, but are way too controlling (I can decide how to do things by myself, I don't need Tim Cook to do it for me). Microsoft just had no vision or goal behind Windows Phone besides that they have to have one. iOS has the simple and refined side and Android has the customization and more complex things down, who would choose a platform that does neither well and gets features far behind the competition. As for Google, they developed Android to be an open operating system where anyone can do whatever they want with it. First, it was ugly and "only for geeks", but was later made into a great mobile OS for anyone. Lately, Google has instead been focusing on pushing Google searches and features instead of fixing common problems with Android. They push Google + in the dialer, replace my gallery with a terrible Google + photos app, make Hangouts the default messaging app (when I only know one perusing who uses Hangouts), remove a lot of microSD functionality, and more, not counting all of the stupid stuff they've been doing elsewhere with stuff like forcing Google + on people, abandoning services like Voice, and making Google Now more and more intrusive. I switched from iOS to have control over my own device and to not have services forced on me, what is Google trying to do?
    Well, tell you what there is another new OS in the town i.e. Tizen OS, Samsung has improved the Bada and now they have named it as Tizen tell you what all the feature with Google's Android is available with the Tizen, I know a handful of users including you too... who just wan't to figure out what the companies are trying to do iPhone has the executive look and the simplicity while the Android OS has the power of modification i.e. Open Source OS means customize according to my own way...... but I am sure you can't deny that Google wants people to use their services rather than some others i.e why they have Hangouts have taken over your messages. Tell you what what google is hungry for i.e. the personnel data of the user. They are putting a box of candies just to suck out data of users, I will say don't just think too much about it because from the bigger company end its all planned this is how they are making money out of it !! Just try to enjoy the royal benefits but don't make it your habit everything will go on like this only. Worrying too much will put into a severe confusion

Expanding to get more storage in your phone is a "small niche?!?

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 or Samsung galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy97 View Post
    Expanding to get more storage in your phone is a "small niche?!?

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 or Samsung galaxy S5
    No. I clearly stated that that was a security issue, and linked to the AC article that discussed that topic in detail.

The relatively small niche are those of us who like tinkering and rooting and customizing to the extreme. I'd say that the majority of smartphone users actually aren't interested in that.

How is Google+ being forced onto Android users? I am not signed up for Google+, and I haven't felt forced to do so.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    B. Diddy and tr-1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
    How is Google+ being forced onto Android users? I am not signed up for Google+, and I haven't felt forced to do so.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Google plus is indeed being forced onto android users. I was passed when I realized that my Google plus image is shown in all my playstore reviews. I had to delete my g+ account. And now I can't leave reviews without activating a g+ profile. I'm migrating my railway from Google to outlook. I do not want all my services connected.

Sent from Surulere, lagos. Nigeria.

Ive said it before and will say it again
    Google is no charity organization. They didnt develop a million dollar OS for us to enjoy.
    They first lure us to android
    Then they start forcing things onto you. Thats how they earn money.
    As long as they take it slow, all of us will adjust and shut up.

Oh you did my bad

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 or iPhone 5

Google+ is disabled on both of my devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Asus Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) - Stock Android 4.4.4 on WiFi.
    LG Nexus 5 Phone (2013) - Stock Android 4.4.4 on T-Mobile LTE and WiFi.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Well, I see your points there, but it is a Google product, so I don't begrudge their push to make things more universally integrated across all of their services. Personally, I like Google+, and I've been using it more and more. I just wish more of my friends who are entrenched in Facebook would give it a try, because I bet they'd like it more, since Facebook seems to be becoming one big ad these days. I also think the Google Photos app is actually pretty well done, and some of the Google+-related bells and whistles like Story and Auto Awesome are neat.

The restrictions on microSD writing is an effort to make things a little more secure: KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central. But I agree, it does make the SD card less useful.

You still have a lot of control over your device, because you can root it, flash custom ROMs, and remove many if not all Google apps if you prefer.

To answer your main question of what Google is trying to do, I think they are trying to make their product better and more secure for a larger and more varied customer base, rather than just a relatively small niche.
    Oh, I really like Google Plus. It's a fantastic service that is far better than Facebook will ever be, but I don't like that it talks to my YouTube (I want my YouTube activity and my G+ activity to stay separate, one with real name and one with username). The problem is that I think of it as a social network and want to use it as a normal social network, but Google seems to want make it a central source of information for various Google products. I don't want it in my photos unless I choose to, nor in my Google Play reviews, my Hangouts (why does it backup all of my Hangouts photos to the cloud?), or my YouTube stuff. I want to use it as a social network, but many people I know won't use it because there's this hate against G+ because it's forced upon people. And sure you still have control over your device now, but it seems like Google is getting away from that and trying to turn Android into Google's operating system instead of the open source operating system. That's what is bothering me, that Google is starting to use this to further their services and get ads to people instead of delivering a good experience.

I see what you're saying, and you make good points. I think part of the reason they changed the YouTube comment system to G+ was to rein in the absolutely horrific hatefest that it had become. People actually had to emerge from the shadows to comment, rather than hide behind anonymity.

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

I just block the YouTube comments which I can only on on a Windows PC.
    Asus Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) - Stock Android 4.4.4 on WiFi.
    LG Nexus 5 Phone (2013) - Stock Android 4.4.4 on T-Mobile LTE and WiFi.

I think part of the reason they changed the YouTube comment system to G+ was to rein in the absolutely horrific hatefest that it had become.
    If that were the case we'd still be able to thumbs up thumbs down comments. yes, i think they do want to de-anonymize the internet, but keeping things unhateful is not even secondary, although altering the way people speak and interact on the internet in general is definitely a side-effect.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

I see what you're saying, and you make good points. I think part of the reason they changed the YouTube comment system to G+ was to rein in the absolutely horrific hatefest that it had become. People actually had to emerge from the shadows to comment, rather than hide behind anonymity.

I like that my YouTube notifications now show up in one spot with the rest of my notifications, but I want to stay anonymous on the Internet, and the new comment system makes me have to have two accounts, something I don't like. At least they tried to fix the comment system.
    paisley99 likes this.

I'm migrating to outlook from gmail. I hate what Google is doing forcing us to open ourselves to the net. I only want to use my picture on g+ and not YouTube, or the playstore.

Sent from Surulere, lagos. Nigeria.

Here's my 2, FWIW. One thing Google is doing is alienating users.

It was maddening enough that when I got my replacement phone last month, my SD card was pretty much null & void. Yes, I could root my S4 but I can't afford to scuttle the warranty in doing so. So now, the apps (which I bought from Google Play Store) don't work.

Yesterday, I opened Chrome on my desktop to find the Gods at Google decided I, at 53, don't know what extensions I should be using. Since I didn't obtain said extensions from said Gods, they no longer work on the Browser of the Gods. But, of course, if they're not available in the Gods' store, I can contact the developer of those extensions & plead with them to make them available via the Gods so I can use them again. Bullsh*t!!!!!

So, here I am, after having used Chrome for however many years it has been in existence, switching back to Mozilla. Looks like I'm going to be dumping Android for some (any) other OS, too.

Unlike many of you, I remember what it was like before there was an Internet, nay, even long, long before "Google" became a verb. I also remember what it was like when computer parts were impossibly proprietary (=expensive) and how wonderful it was when "IBM-Compatible" was music to the ears of many. Google seems to be migrating to becoming a dictator of, rather than a provider of, service. "We know what's best for you & you'll do what we say" A pox on Google!

I'm moving on.
    Thanked by:
    DebbieHeaney likes this.

Sorry that you feel that way! My understanding of the Chrome extension crackdown was that it was more of a security issue. Recall that one of the criticisms that Google has faced (and that Tim Cook seems to be fond of reminding everyone of) is the security risk that comes with an open environment, whether it's Google Play or the Chrome Web Store. My take is that Google is trying to find the right balance, but I can see why others might not feel the same way.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

As for Google, they developed Android to be an open operating system where anyone can do whatever they want with it.
    I think this is a common misconception. Android has always been a means to further propagate the use of Google's services (as well as preventing Microsoft or any one company besides Google from dominating the mobile landscape). Google didn't get Android to just give it away for free so that everyone can do whatever they want with it. Google tightening the grip on Android and further incorporating and "pushing" their services into it aligns with their overall goal for the platform and makes perfect sense from a business perspective.

These days the "battle" between companies such as Google, Apple, Microsoft and Amazon is one of ecosystems, of providing integrated solutions of hardware, software and services that work seamlessly across multiple devices. One can't have a robust and consistent ecosystem without the company in question assuming control of the platform and the experience. What is Google trying to do? They are positioning themselves and setting things up to offer such seamless experience on their services and platforms.
    Thanked by:

B. Diddy, having had a couple of days to contemplate my admittedly knee-jerk first reaction, I've calmed down. Some.
    I, however, remain very wary of Google's motivation and decidedly unhappy with its current course of action. Will I swallow my pride & return to "the fold"? Unknown at this moment. Right now, it's a remote possibility and extremely unlikely. I understand, to a limited extent, that not all users are like me and vice versa. To me, it's kind of a question of does the Federal Government (Google) regulate an issue or should the regulation fall on the shoulders of the states (the corporations so afraid of espionage)? Either way, simply, the problem is a *****. But, again, IMO, why should everyone pay for the (possible) transgressions of a few? (That, also, is an entirely rhetorical question, lest I get blasted for my narrow views.)

Evoken, that was a very lucid & thorough explanation of the problem we, as end-users, are juxtaposed with Google's ultimate goal of control of Android.
    I'm curious, though, what your stand is on the current (and future) fallout of this problem. Are you content with Android being pared down to the point that the only way an end-user can circumvent Google's restrictions is to root their phone which, as I have said, some of us are not prepared to do, whatever the reason, be it economical, principle, stubbornness, etc. ?

Thanks to you both.

My insignificant take on this discussion is I'd rather "ahem" trust Google (with all of their obvious faults) than the "shudder" alternatives - Apple or Microsoft, both of which are maniacal tyrants in their own way. I like the idea that I can have my N4, 7 and linux computers all have the same info. available. If I have a problem with my mobile devices, requiring a reset, then all I really need is automatically downloaded, without much intervention on my part.

Maybe there will never be a perfect solution, but until there is, I would rather put my "money" on Google than those "other" dictators.
    shaytoon21 likes this.

Global Posts
    3,404 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

...what is Google trying to do?
    Google is trying to make money.

They don't make money selling Android; Microsoft makes more money from direct Android sales than Google. They make money when you use Google services. That's how Google makes ALL of their money. They provide you services. You use said services which supply Google with data about you. Google sells that data to advertisers who want to put targeted ads in front of your eyeballs.