Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can KitKat 4.4.2 In-Built Apps write to SD Card or not?

Guys,
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4.2 KitKat. I tried to set the default image, video and documents directories to a folder on the SD card by going to MyFiles -> Settings -> SDCard path. I am taking photos & videos using the default app, not a 3rd party app. Although it is showing me the default is set to the SD card, the images I take using the default camera app all seem to save to the default internal storage /storage/emulated/0/DCIM/Camera.

Did anybody here have any luck getting the default image directories to be on the SD card?

Default Re: Can KitKat 4.4.2 In-Built Apps write to SD Card or not?

As far as I can tell it writes to internal storage now.

Below is a better explanation of what is going on by our own Jerry Hildenbrand.

KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the replies guys. A little discovery on my end:

For Photos & Videos changing the default directory to an SD card directory from My Files -> Settings -> Default Image Location, Default Video location DOES NOT WORK. But, if you go to the Native Camera app which came with the S4 -> Settings -> Storage -> Select SD card - it does work. It then created a folder named DCIM on my SD card and started recording pictures & video to it. Again, I am referring to the native app here, and not a 3rd party.