Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    ICS

Default What CAN I do with a MicroSD card with KitKat

You'll have to pardon my ignorance a bit, but all I've been hearing with this SD card debacle is what you can no longer do. I'm more concerned about what I can still do, and I can't find that spelled out for me anywhere, and to be honest I need it spelled out for me haha. Can anyone tell me what I will still be able to save to a MicroSD card? I'm hoping to buy one, and the main purposes would be to store photos I take (stock app), videos I shoot (again, stock), and ROMs for my emulators. Are these things possible, or am I screwed? Thanks to whoever can help!

Default Re: What CAN I do with a MicroSD card with KitKat

Quote Originally Posted by andyrichter11 View Post
    You'll have to pardon my ignorance a bit, but all I've been hearing with this SD card debacle is what you can no longer do. I'm more concerned about what I can still do, and I can't find that spelled out for me anywhere, and to be honest I need it spelled out for me haha. Can anyone tell me what I will still be able to save to a MicroSD card? I'm hoping to buy one, and the main purposes would be to store photos I take (stock app), videos I shoot (again, stock), and ROMs for my emulators. Are these things possible, or am I screwed? Thanks to whoever can help!
    You can
    - move your videos/photos/songs to your SD no problem

But apps like titaniumbackup won't be able to copy your backup to the SD unless you root your device and change couple commands in the system to allow R/W instead of Read only.

Would you consider rooting your phone?

CAN

All google apps still have privilege to write to SD. Thus your default camera and videorec apps can.
    But 3rd part cam (say with better features)cant write to SD

You can still, manually move stuff to SD card using file manager, apps just cant "automatically" write to SD.
    So if you want to move around ROMs, make sure you have a big phone memory

Using a PC, you can still dump and manage stuff directly on the SD card
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    ICS

Thanks everyone! Hugely helpful. I considered rooting but it honestly would only be to get the fix for this, so I'm not sure if it'd be worth it for me. Thanks again!