Anyone pinpoint reason for battery drain?

xperia2995

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Google blames a faulty camera app which when opened never fully closes. They are fixing it in 4.4.3.

But different people give different sources.
In my LG phone, the camera app is perfectly OK. I use it. Yet the battery never drains.
Somedays I doubted google play services. Then I doubted Internet app.
All my location services are disabled. Some apps are disabled. I realized none of these were the culprit, since the battery was stable even when these were running.

The battery graph is perfectly horizontal.
Yet at some day, the battery magically begins draining. The graph shifts to a 20 degree slope.
It will mandatorly lose 2-5% an hour even when idle.

"Android OS" is the thing, the battery blames.
What is this android OS. What is causing it?
Any one have any clue? A news? A secret talk? Anything?

PS:Fellow kitkat bars, the drain stops when you restart your phone and force close every app. This is the only solution working now.

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
There is almost certainly no single cause, but different ones for different people's combination of hardware and software. And plenty of people aren't having any drain issues at all. Android OS does many different things to serve many different functions of the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

xperia2995

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Then why wouldnt it show who is making "Android OS" do most of its jobs when the phone is supposed to be sleeping.
Presently, its blaming the kernel.
If it does not pinpoint which app is making it do its job then clearly it is an OS bug?
Isnt that kind of stupid.
Suppose you use window media player for an hour, and windows OS which does stuff like windowing & kernel operations is blamed?

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
What is this android OS.

Is this a serious question?

Android OS is what is running your phone and makes it work. Even if your phone is sleeping Android OS is managing network connections, listening for notifications, managing memory usage, running background processes, pinging for location, etc. All of these things require power from the battery to do. If you want zero battery usage then you need to turn the phone off.

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I think the point of the question was that before the 4.4.2 update there was only Android System, which is still there, and uses very little of the battery. Since the update Android OS is now there and is, in most cases, the predominate cause of battery drain.

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I think the point of the question is that before the 4.4.2 update there was Android System, which is still there, and has minimal drain on the battery. After the update there is now also Android OS which, in most cases, is the predominate cause of battery drain.

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
No, I'm not a heavy user by any means, and I personally don't have a big problem with battery life post update. But, I can see where some people could have serious issues.

Kate4nyy

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Having the same battery drain problem. I didn't have to charge my phone during the day before the update. Since that it drains by mid day without a change in usage. I tried a factory reset but that didn't help. Also I'm having a problem with texts going through. The factory reset helped that a bit but most texts take 30 - 60 seconds to go through.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Having the same battery drain problem. I didn't have to charge my phone during the day before the update. Since that it drains by mid day without a change in usage. I tried a factory reset but that didn't help. Also I'm having a problem with texts going through. The factory reset helped that a bit but most texts take 30 - 60 seconds to go through.

Welcome to the forums.
What device do you have?

ejcrossl

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Ever since 4.4 update, I have had bad battery issues. I listened to Iheart radio for an hour this morning (w/ the screen off) then exited out of it by selecting exit from the menu. I looked at facebook for about 10 mins, and received 4 emails. My phone was burning up all morning and dead by 1 pm. Any ideas? Seems like this topic never really has a solid answer.

Droid Razr Maxx HD
Screenshot:
Screenshot_2014-06-11-13-17-41.png

Last edited:

xperia2995

May 1, 2014
Visit site
That actually isn't bad

2014-06-12-06-26-58-1.png

2014-06-11-23-17-43-1.png

How about these?

Can you see the constant straight line slope?
it causes a 10 -12 % drain in 6hrs while being IDLE
you cannot call that normal. because there are times when this problem magically stops and I get a straight line with only 1% drain in 6hrs, sometimes.

android OS is doing something fishy.
Any one explain

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
How about these?

you cannot call that normal. because there are times when this problem magically stops and I get a straight line with only 1% drain in 6hrs, sometimes.

Any one explain

A 6 hour battery drop of 12% would be 2% per hour, equating to about 60 hours of standby time, or nearly three days. I am not inclined to think that anything is truly wrong.

Check out the screen shot provided by ejcrossl: They showed a chart that drained the battery 94% in 6 hours. That is a cause to be concerned.

- - - Updated - - -

Ever since 4.4 update, I have had bad battery issues. I listened to Iheart radio for an hour this morning (w/ the screen off) then exited out of it by selecting exit from the menu. I looked at facebook for about 10 mins, and received 4 emails. My phone was burning up all morning and dead by 1 pm. Any ideas? Seems like this topic never really has a solid answer.

Droid Razr Maxx HD
Screenshot:

Have you tried clearing cache in recovery or doing a factory reset?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 122934

View attachment 122935

How about these?

Any one explain

Seems typical for KitKat. Sometimes something is running that eats up a little battery. I see sometimes 3% an hour drain on idle, sometimes less than 1%.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 122934

View attachment 122935

How about these?

Any one explain

How is that not normal? The phone is on and running.. The radios are talking with the tower and staying alive... Processes are running in the background... All of that uses power. As golf said at the rate you're going that's almost 3 days standby time... That is just fine. :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie