Anyone pinpoint reason for battery drain?

cappie2000

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
It could be a number of things, since it's listed under the Android system services..
  • Are you checking an IMAP/Exchange mailbox for new mail?
  • Do you have uPNP software running on your phone?
  • What are your signal strengths? (WIFI & cell)
  • What G of band to you use? 3G? 2G? 4G 3.5G?
When your total mV usage is so low, something is bound to stick it's head up in the stats.. and besides, >2 days is pretty decent.. I wouldn't worry too much about it.. come back when your phone drains in less than 12 hours and we'll talk.. My Nexus 5 used to last 3,5 days.. now it manages to do barely 2.5 days on a full battery.. but then again, I've installed like 50+ apps.. so I think that's normal.

Last edited:

xperia2995

May 1, 2014
Visit site
@Golf and cappie.
The reason I said 2% an hour is not normal is because
1.I have tested the phone in airplane mode and still battery drains.
2.With the exact same phone and conditions(same position, freshly restarted), I have obtained only 0.1% decay per hour even without flight mode on another day.

Since the phone was sleeping, nothing must consume power ideally in airplane mode.

If the same phone behaves differently on two different days. I wouldnt say the decay is normal because it is capable of doing better.

@Alemuit.
If the tower communication was the power sucker, "Cell standby" would be way higher.

@Cappie
And yes my phone and everyones phone will die in 3hrs if we use wifi for the full time.If I play asphalt then it will go from 100to15 within an hour etc. (No one mentions that they use all that)

@Golf
The other guys graph. I dont know which of the two you meant.
Wifi is way above normal, thus his wifi was "turned on" despite him not using it.
And his google search app is clearly a culprit. I suspect he has google voice or locations enabled, thus it is contantly using the microphone or pingin location.

The second guy has bluetooth on. Haptic feedback is probably also enabled.

Last edited:

xperia2995

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Currently for those who face massive drain.

1.Checking with a friend with same phone
2.If the phone was ever updated or came out of box with same OS version.
3.Did many another company phones have the problem.
4.Auto sync may be enabled, causing massive update downloads during wifi use (plus wifi signal or phone signal may be too weak)
5.Location services would have been enabled. It must be disabled.
6.Haptic feedback must be turned off.
7.Do not leave bluetooth, wifi, 3G data ON. Some people falsely believe that leaving it on has no effect unless you use it.
7.Google Play Services unwantedly opens upto 5 services. Force close them.

A solution to such a person.
Freshly restart the phone with 100% battery. Then begin force closing every single app.(except core) The important ones will auto restart.
If you have developer option enabled.
Check >display cpu usage.
Observe the recurring activities.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
@Golf and cappie.
The reason I said 2% an hour is not normal is because
1.I have tested the phone in airplane mode and still battery drains.
2.With the exact same phone and conditions(same position, freshly restarted), I have obtained only 0.1% decay per hour even without flight mode on another day.

Since the phone was sleeping, nothing must consume power ideally in airplane mode.

If the same phone behaves differently on two different days. I wouldnt say the decay is normal because it is capable of doing better.

@Alemuit.
If the tower communication was the power sucker, "Cell standby" would be way higher.

@Cappie
And yes my phone and everyones phone will die in 3hrs if we use wifi for the full time.If I play asphalt then it will go from 100to15 within an hour etc. (No one mentions that they use all that)

@Golf
The other guys graph. I dont know which of the two you meant.
Wifi is way above normal, thus his wifi was "turned on" despite him not using it.
And his google search app is clearly a culprit. I suspect he has google voice or locations enabled, thus it is contantly using the microphone or pingin location.

The second guy has bluetooth on. Haptic feedback is probably also enabled.

1. The battery will still drain in Airplane mode, just not as much.

2. There are always too many variables to consider when regarding conditions. Social media, emails, etc, if all are working properly, not getting stuck in a process (Facebook is nefarious for this). My current battery stats are 70% drain in nearly 12 hours (will provide a screenshot in a few minutes). A little low for me, but no big deal.

The phone will always drain when on. Period. The OS will account for the drain. That is why when a device is left alone, the Android OS accounts for the drain because that is the thing that is responsible for the drain.

The same phone behaving differently can be due to many things. Cell signal strength is a big factor, which brings your counterpoint to Almeuit; Cell standby doesn't really go up the charts unless the signal is not there for a large period of time.

The other guys graph I was referring to was the fact that in the graph chart, you can see that the time on battery was 6 hours and minutes with the 94% drain. That is not a good thing. Yes, his bluetooth was on, but how long was it on? I don't know. It could have been on for 5 minutes.
Google search is not the culprit as it only took about 7% of the total drain.

How do you know haptic feedback is on?

Currently for those who face massive drain.

1.Checking with a friend with same phone
2.If the phone was ever updated or came out of box with same OS version.
3.Did many another company phones have the problem.
4.Auto sync may be enabled, causing massive update downloads during wifi use (plus wifi signal or phone signal may be too weak)
5.Location services would have been enabled. It must be disabled.
6.Haptic feedback must be turned off.
7.Do not leave bluetooth, wifi, 3G data ON. Some people falsely believe that leaving it on has no effect unless you use it.
7.Google Play Services unwantedly opens upto 5 services. Force close them.

A solution to such a person.
Freshly restart the phone with 100% battery. Then begin force closing every single app.(except core) The important ones will auto restart.
If you have developer option enabled.
Check >display cpu usage.
Observe the recurring activities.

1. Checking a friend with the same phone: again, too many variables. Even on the same carrier, there are different quality radios in each cellphone, what does each person have connected to their phone, etc.
2. Irrelevant. I am on 4.4.3 right now on a custom ROM and I have no excessive drain what so ever. Out of the box I was on Sense 6 4.4.2.
3. Not sure what you are trying to get at here.
4. Auto sync for me and many people I know, hasn't affected battery life. Yes this can account for it, but not the first thing I would look at.
5. My location services are set to battery saving. No ill effects here.
6. Yes, the vibration is a battery killer, but nothing to the scale of excessive.
7a. Yes those will contribute to more battery drain, but again, not to excessive.
7b. Force closing Google Play Services will last only as long as you don't open up Play. And even then Services will re open eventually. Force closing it continually can actually lead to battery drain as the OS will start the application back up.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Something to also consider. Is that a battery is not a mechanical device you can rely on for exact repeated performance every single charge cycle. So you can't expect to have a phone discharge exactly the same way every time. Overall from 100% to 5% might be consistent but the time it took from percent to percent might vary quite abit. Remember also that Lithium-ion technology is from our Quantum Physics research where consistency is weird.

Last edited:

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
That's a big thing I notice. Two days ago I went twenty four hours with heavier than normal use and only burned 49% around 2% an hour, which is great. Then the next day, at around the same amount of use I burned 31% in ten hours, just over 3% an hour. I charged for an hour to bump it back up to make through the rest of the night then I burned 20% in the next five hours, 4% and hour, with very light use. Now today I've already burned 25% in five hours of light use. I can't count on my battery life anymore. I have chargers everywhere I go because the drain is so erratic now.

xperia2995

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I am particulary not angered by the battery drain when one uses their phone. Mainly because a persons usage varies widely. Some sync their data. Some leave wifi, bluetooth on. The variables are too high.
But the question I ask is "does your phone discharge badly even when sleeping?"

If yes, Beware of apps you download from playstore which require the permission "wakelock"

Restarting the phone completely solves it.

ejcrossl

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I haven't done either yet because I haven't backed up my memory. I hate factory resets because I hate to lose my layout and settings. I heard someone froze after clearing cache, so I want backup all videos/pictures first. My drain today is interesting. I'll post it next.

A 6 hour battery drop of 12% would be 2% per hour, equating to about 60 hours of standby time, or nearly three days. I am not inclined to think that anything is truly wrong.

Check out the screen shot provided by ejcrossl: They showed a chart that drained the battery 94% in 6 hours. That is a cause to be concerned.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried clearing cache in recovery or doing a factory reset?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I haven't done either yet because I haven't backed up my memory. I hate factory resets because I hate to lose my layout and settings. I heard someone froze after clearing cache, so I want backup all videos/pictures first. My drain today is interesting. I'll post it next.

Understandable, but sometimes with updates, the framework changes and these steps should be taken. Otherwise, there may be conflicts in the data causing excessive battery drain.

7plymaple

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
My battery life was cut almost in half after the 4.4.2 update about a week and a half ago. Did a factory reset and still no change. Played around with settings and toggled wifi and airplane mode depending on where I was. It would just chew battery life up doing the simplest tasks. Once I got all the apps I usually count on I disabled all the google apps. It went right back to normal. I've been trying to use my phone without giving google any permissions for a few months and it's been working amazing. Took a while to find other navigation apps and a browser I like but sans google is the way to go for reliability.. not as convenient. But very reliable.

txtech8

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
My Samsung S4 previously lasted 24 hours easily and battery is now dead after 10 hours after kitkat update. I have observed using CPU Memory Monitor that as soon as i send my first text message after a restart that com.android.phone process jumps from neglible cpu to 50% constant forever until I restart my phone again, at which time cpu for entire phone is low and battery lasts a long time until I send my first text message. It appears once process wakes it never sleeps and you can't force stop using app manager.

I have tried every other suggestion I have found on internet (except factory reset) and nothing has helped. Interesting that my wife has same phone and same kitkat update but is not experiencing the problem, but I configured her phone and I can't find any significant differences.

Verizon store associate said they see same results that most but not all people have this problem after kitkat. They were replacing batteries and replaced mine but have stopped doing that because it doesn't fix the problem.

Last edited:

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
My Samsung S4 previously lasted 24 hours easily and battery is now dead after 10 hours after kitkat update. I have observed using CPU Memory Monitor that as soon as i send my first text message after a restart that com.android.phone process jumps from neglible cpu to 50% constant forever until I restart my phone again, at which time cpu for entire phone is low and battery lasts a long time until I send my first text message. It appears once process wakes it never sleeps and you can't force stop using app manager.

I have tried every other suggestion I have found on internet (except factory reset) and nothing has helped. Interesting that my wife has same phone and same kitkat update but is not experiencing the problem, but I configured her phone and I can't find any significant differences.

Verizon store associate said they see same results that most but not all people have this problem after kitkat. They were replacing batteries and replaced mine but have stopped doing that because it doesn't fix the problem.

I have had afew clients have the same issue and they always resist the factory reset but it has always been a fix. My only guess is that something that was supposed to of been wiped made it through and is now confusing the process chain causing a loop. I know it sucks having to setup your whole phone from blank but it will fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy