Encrypton took 8 minutes to Encrypt

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Running Android KitKat 4.4.
Just want to see if there is a way check or look back on what options were selected during the encryption process.

For example, in Windows BitLocker, you can see whether the hard drive is FULLY encrypted and with TrueCrypt.
Is there anything like this on an Android device to check the encryption statistics?

Taking less than 10 minutes to encrypt an S4 phone is strange. So I am not really convinced that the whole device is really encrypted. Because there was an option to select Fast Encryption, which I know I did not select.

Although, could it be that I do not have much personal data on the internal storage memory when encrypting the phone?

But still, even if one does not have any of their own apps or data installed, the encryption still should take at least half an hour to do esp. on an S4.

Or, one more theory, is, could it be that Kit Kat had improved its encryption process to be much faster than the previous versions of Android?

Thanks in advance!

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Running Android KitKat 4.4.
Just want to see if there is a way check or look back on what options were selected during the encryption process.

For example, in Windows BitLocker, you can see whether the hard drive is FULLY encrypted and with TrueCrypt.
Is there anything like this on an Android device to check the encryption statistics?

Taking less than 10 minutes to encrypt an S4 phone is strange. So I am not really convinced that the whole device is really encrypted. Because there was an option to select Fast Encryption, which I know I did not select.

Although, could it be that I do not have much personal data on the internal storage memory when encrypting the phone?

But still, even if one does not have any of their own apps or data installed, the encryption still should take at least half an hour to do esp. on an S4.

Or, one more theory, is, could it be that Kit Kat had improved its encryption process to be much faster than the previous versions of Android?

Thanks in advance!

Well, tell you what encryption do takes time because I am sure you are aware that there are a number of encryption technies like DES,Double DES, AES -128, AES-192 , AES-256 and if I talk about Windows BItLocker it is using AES-128 and AES-256, which again is a long encryption process (i.e head over to the wikipedia to know about it) that is surely going to take time in the encryption each one of them !!

icyrock1

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
It depends on how many things it had to encrypt at that time. Say if you had 1GB of data(apps, music, etc) it would take longer to encrypt that a blank S4.

It's strange that it took 10 minutes when you didn't have anything on it. Might be a hardware problem?

AFAIK, you can't undo the encryption after it's done. For the record, android uses 128-bit AES when encrypting the device.

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, that's my point here...That it took 10 minutes to encrypt. It should had been longer. Don't you guys think?
Even the warning says that encryption should take an hour at least to do. Mine took 8 minutes, which very short time.
I think that's strange to encrypt a phone especially on the S4 that quickly...

And also, what is strange, that It does let me DECRYPT the device without having to reset to factory settings.
That to me is also strange. Under the Encryption option, it says DECRYPT DEVICE and then under that, DEVICE ENCRYPTED.
My phone is a European unlocked GTi9505.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair