Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Default WiFi question

Does anyone know how my WiFi always connects to my home router, even when always scanning is disabled?

I've read other forum posts but haven't found any info about this. I ask because I don't want WiFi always scanning and draining my battery.

I want to set up Tasker to turn WiFi off when not connected after a minute or two, and I think I know how. I would really like to have it set to reconnect to my known WiFi points without having to manually turn WiFi on, but I'm not sure how to do that. Anyone know how to set that up? I don't want to use location based profiles. And I don't want Tasker always scanning and draining my battery, so I'm not sure if this can be used efficiently?

I'm new to Android, so sorry if these question have been asked before. I did a few searches, but couldn't find any info on these questions, at least not any info that was helpful.

Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    If you are replying to my post, please use "Reply With Quote".

Nexus 5 - AT&T

Default Re: WiFi question

Some devices have a setting that allows wifi to turn on automatically. What device do you have? Go to Settings>Wi-fi, tap the Menu button and then Advanced, and see if there is an option for that.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Some devices have a setting that allows wifi to turn on automatically. What device do you have? Go to Settings>Wi-fi, tap the Menu button and then Advanced, and see if there is an option for that.
    I have a Nexus 5. The always scanning option is off, but the option to notify me of open networks is checked. I'll turn that off and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

Nexus 5 - AT&T

This doesn't answer your question, I know, but for the record WiFi scanning uses so little battery in a modern smartphone that in my opinion it isn't worth worrying about unless your usage is extremely light and you don't charge nightly. The only time you see it using a significant battery percentage is over the course of days. The whole keep WiFi off thing is a relic of early radios. Of course, there are other good reasons to keep WiFi scanning off, too. Just thought I'd mention that one.
    Thanked by:
    frag06 
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zorak950 View Post
    This doesn't answer your question, I know, but for the record WiFi scanning uses so little battery in a modern smartphone that in my opinion it isn't worth worrying about unless your usage is extremely light and you don't charge nightly. The only time you see it using a significant battery percentage is over the course of days. The whole keep WiFi off thing is a relic of early radios. Of course, there are other good reasons to keep WiFi scanning off, too. Just thought I'd mention that one.
    Yeah, I don't know if it's worth the hassle. If I can automate it, that would be fine. But it's not worth the trouble of manually doing it every time I leave home.

On another note, my current battery standby time is getting worse. After I cleared the cache partition a few days ago, I was only losing 2% battery overnight, which is about 10 hours. The last two nights I have lost 4% in the same amount of time.

The only thing I changed is the GPS setting. I changed it from device only to battery saving mode and then changed it back a few hours later. No new apps or anything. I don't see how a quick change would cause this, but just thought I should mention it. (The reason I changed it back was because I was getting a lot of wakelocks. On device only, I didn't have any wakelocks last night.)

4% loss overnight is still very good, I just find it odd it that it doubled without me making any significant changes.

Nexus 5 - AT&T