Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zorak950
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SD cards & MP3s: Fun Things KitKat Did To Ruin My SmartPhone Experience

(This is on a Samsung Galaxy S3)

First off, this is probably happening to most of you, when I try to GPS to a location, it asks something stupid about letting Google save your location or something along those lines, and if you don't do it, the GPS basically won't work. I remember a while back, I only had to do that once and I was set. Now I have to do it every time I start the GPS. Now typically I start mine up as soon as I'm about to get going. Now I have to do it much earlier, because it seems as though the first time you attempt to start the GPS trek, it won't activate, you'll just get directions. Then you'll go back, search again, and if you're lucky, you'll get the blue arrow which signifies and actual working GPS. And most of the time, the blue arrow doesn't even move, at all, forcing me to restart the app entirely. Fun fun.

BUT HERE'S THE REAL KICKER! When KitKat was announced, there was a huge scare on how SD cards would become obsolete. No storing apps, no uploading music, any files at all, etc. This freaked me out because I bought a 64GB SD card for something like $65 SPECIFICALLY to hold my music, in fact that's the ONLY thing I use it for. So I guess the app thing is true since that seems to be the main first and foremost discussion involving KitKat and SD cards, though I don't use mine to store apps so I don't know. So, I uploaded some music to my phone, and it went on, the phone recognized it, and I sighed with relief, all seemed well. Then I listened to the songs. It sounds like corrupted versions of OTHER songs I have on the card, literally they were other songs by other bands that were already on the card. And when I plug the phone back in to look for the mp3's, they're completely gone. I have repeated this process multiple times, same results every time. The song does, however, work fine the first like, 20 minutes after uploading it. Afterwards it becomes that mess, and then it disappears. So I did a little test. I uploaded the same set of songs on the phone drive and the SD card, waited 20 minutes, then played the same songs one after the other. The songs on the phone drive were fine. The SD card songs were corrupted.

I've tried Googling this to see if anyone else has had similar issues. Nobody has talked about it as far as I've been able to see (seriously, I can't find anyone else who's going through this), so until somebody replies to me with any information on this issue, I am completely alone and EXTREMELY frustrated and unhappy. I will literally owe my life to anyone who can help me figure this out.

EDIT: RESOLVED, SCROLL DOWN TO READ HOW IT ENDED.

Default Re: SD cards & MP3s: Fun Things KitKat Did To Ruin My SmartPhone Experience

That is... bizarre. Not normal Kit Kat behavior, that's for sure. Do you have another SD card? The first test in my mind would be to see if it's the phone or the card.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: SD cards & MP3s: Fun Things KitKat Did To Ruin My SmartPhone Experience

zorak950: Good call, I'll give it a shot.

(edited by Moderator)

If you determine that it's the phone, I'm not sure there's much to recommend beyond a factory reset or maybe even flashing a different system image. It sounds like something is seriously broken, and a reflash will tell you if it's firmware. If it isn't firmware, that means it's hardware and at that point you might as well buy another phone: I can't imagine that the repair cost for a GS3 would be worth it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

While it may just be a hardware issue, it seems a bit too much of a coincidence that this started happening IMMEDIATELY after my phone forced me to update to KitKat, and the issue has a lot of similarities to the current KitKat SD card rage going about in other forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Saren Meserkhani View Post
    While it may just be a hardware issue, it seems a bit too much of a coincidence that this started happening IMMEDIATELY after my phone forced me to update to KitKat, and the issue has a lot of similarities to the current KitKat SD card rage going about in other forums.
    KitKat SD card rage is overblown ignorance.

Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App

Coincidence happens. But, because it did happen right after you updated, that's why I suggested flashing different firmware: that's the definitive test. Make sure it isn't the card first, though.

Cleaned some off topic posts. Please stay on topic.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    [URL="http://forums.mobilenations.com/rules-policies/500-community-rules-guidelines.html#post3388"]Community Guidelines[/URL] - - [URL="http://forums.mobilenations.com/rules-policies/766-app-developer-forum-rules-guidelines.html#post4991"]App & Developer Guidelines[/URL] --[URL="http://forums.mobilenations.com/rules-policies/410-marketplace-rules-guidelines.html#post2963"]Marketplace Guidelines[/URL] - - [URL="http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/368068-verizon-faq.html"]Verizon FAQ[/URL] - -[URL="http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=3571703"]Verizon Iconic Portal [/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I should also mention, having neglected to do so previously in respect of the triage method, I don't get those GPS confirmations that you mentioned on my Nexus 4. I've never used an S3, though, so I don't know if that's normal for your device or not.

Hi, your not alone with this because I also use my 64 gb sd card in my S4 mainly for music and since getting kitkat about a third of the music has vanished. And it keeps vanishing even now. Loads of apps have gone and I dont know from day to day what will be on the phone when I switch it on.

Posted via Android Central App
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

So here's an interesting update to my situation. I tried to do the SD card swap with an 8gb in my tablet. It works fine, I uploaded songs, they worked, continued to work, still there when I plug the phone back into the computer, and put the card back into the tablet. So I tried taking the 64gb card out of the phone and plug it into a card reader. The computer said that the card needed to be reformatted. I wanted to assume that this has something to do with it being formatted to Galaxy S3 standards or whatever, but that can't be the case, because the 8gb I just took out works fine after being taken out of the phone so that doesn't make any sense. So I thought that maybe it just needed to be reformatted and I could just start all over again with the uploading music. So I put the card back into the reader and plugged in, clicked Format, and here's the scariest part: the formatting screen claims that this card is only 1 megabyte. I plugged it back into the phone, 64gb, all the old music still there. Back into the card reader, 1 megabyte. This is when I finally flipped and called Samsung, and they told me that they are fully aware of this issue, and they are trying to fix it right now, and are hoping that they will have resolved it by the end of the week. Well alrighty then. I'm not sure how this is going to work, because I feel like my card is fried regardless of Samsung fixing the issue or not. I can't read it on a card reader, and I highly doubt that'll change just because the phone will get an update sometime in July. I actually tried deleting a bunch of my unlistened music to see if the problem was capacity. All of the music that I deleted, came back. I am so confused.

EDIT: Also, on top of the deleted files coming back, it doesn't even pretend to write new files, it won't even get that far, it just freezes on the loading screen and waits for me to hit cancel. I seriously don't want to believe that this is the card itself when this happened immediately after the update, my theory is that when the update forced itself onto my phone, it cracked the card under pressure, does that make sense?

Not really. It's theoretically possible that it overheated or something, but it's not as if your SD card was sabotaged by your OS. I have no proof either way, but I'm leaning towards coincidence, especially if the other card works.
    A895 likes this.

I do believe that this is a Android problem. SD's 32gb and less use a FAT32 file system to keep track of whats stored on it. Over 32gb, require the use of NTFS file system which is quite different than the FAT32 based file system. I think the problem is that Kit Kat can't handle this file system. I can't prove it because I only have a 16gb card. And it works just fine and assume a 32gb card will work just fine.

Under KitKat, only the app that created the directories on the removable sd card can update or delete files within that directory structure. If you are using something like Box or Google drive to synchronize your music files onto your external SD card, your music player app will not be able to create, modify or delete anything within the directory structure. Oh, and if you ever delete the app that created the files (so, for example, you could reinstall it) all of the files in the owned directories will disappear. I think Googles direction is that removable sd cards should not be allowed. Personally I think it is some kind of programmer snit (those blankety blank developers are scattering file on *my* sd card, we'll fix them!) because they keep changing the justifications for the it.

Quote Originally Posted by storageman View Post
    I do believe that this is a Android problem. SD's 32gb and less use a FAT32 file system to keep track of whats stored on it. Over 32gb, require the use of NTFS file system which is quite different than the FAT32 based file system. I think the problem is that Kit Kat can't handle this file system. I can't prove it because I only have a 16gb card. And it works just fine and assume a 32gb card will work just fine.
    This is not quite correct. Large capacity SD cards (64GB +) use a newer format called exFAT. It requires a proprietary driver that the OS manufacturer provides from Microsoft. Some devices or device/OS combinations are not compatible with SD cards larger than 32GB. Check this from the SD Association: https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/sdx...es/using_sdxc/
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I hope you guys aren't the kind that flips out over digging up old threads, I knew of a forum that did o_o

In case anyone found this thread in Google looking for answers and gets frustrated about lack of resolution, here is what I did: I contacted SanDisk (makers of my SD card) and Samsung separately. SanDisk has an online customer support that's pretty decent. I described my whole situation and they concluded that the SD was faulty and asked me to send it in for a replacement. Hell yes. Did the same with Samsung, but first they put me through all kinds of crap including factory data resets, and then driving to Best Buy for a software flash, and finally they concluded that the mechanism in the phone was faulty in itself and asked me to send it in. Everything is good now. The moral of this story is send in your stuff, sadly.

BUT here's a pro-tip, this might help a lot of people. When I got my 64gb microSD card replaced, I put it into the card reader first to see if plugging it into the computer before the phone would have better results in terms of usage (SD card in the phone does strange things like not show bitrate of song files and et cetera even though my other SD card doesn't do that on the same phone). ANYWAYS, when I plugged it into my card reader, it did the same thing as before, it read it as a 1MB card and asked to format it. So I did the impossible: I got another SD card reader. And guess what, it worked fine. Moral of THIS story: Your card reader might be old and not able to read cards as high as 64gb. THAT right there is very important.

Thank you

No. It is not. Now I can not store spps on my SD. Bought a 64GB card when the 32 I had would have sufficed.