Enabling ART on Android 4.4.3+ Devices

SGTGimpy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
If anyone is interested, you can possibly enable ART now in Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 on your Device. In doing so you can boost performance quite considerably and also I have seen a little better battery usage. (Note most phones will not allow this. All Nexus devices that support ART should allow it and few others at this time have the ability to enable ART.)

*****CAUTION***** ART is still in Beta and in doing this could cause stability issue in the phone and in your Apps. Do this at your own risk. ******* CAUTION*******

To enable ART, Go to settings => About Phone =>Then go to Build Number and tap on Build Number until it ask if you want to enable Developer Options (or something in that effect) Once you say yes, Go back once and above About Phone you should see Developer options.

Under Developer options, go to "Select Runtime" (which should be on Dalvik) and select ART. Once you do this it will need to reboot your phone and then it will go through an update process on your Apps. Depending on how many Apps you have this can take a bit. I suggest doing when you won't need your phone for a few minutes and also make sure to plug your phone into power to help it go faster.

Once it is done, I suggest testing one or two apps to make sure they work. Then I would reboot your phone one more time. (This seems to fix a noticed app lag after the update). Once it comes back up, use your phone as normal and enjoy the free speed boost and a little added battery life. I have not noticed any issue with the 168 apps on my Nexus 5 nor any stability issue with the device, but again you millage may vary on your device and apps.

Enjoy :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol