Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Kitkat is obsolete already ?!!

With google announcing Android L version. Im beginning to think. "What the hell did I just do".
    I bought a kitkat device with the hope that it will be around for quite a long time like Jellybean.
    Now google just announced that there will be a major UI overhaul in Android L compared to kitkat.
    Why would they do such a cruel thing before even all phones finish receiving kitkat.
    Did we all buy a kitkat phone for nothing?
    I'm angry.. I would like to hear your reactions.

Global Posts
    1,613 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Default Re: Kitkat is obsolete already ?!!

Quote Originally Posted by xperia2995 View Post
    With google announcing Android L version. Im beginning to think. "What the hell did I just do".
    I bought a kitkat device with the hope that it will be around for quite a long time like Jellybean.
    Now google just announced that there will be a major UI overhaul in Android L compared to kitkat.
    I'm happy we will be getting a new version of Android soon. If you just bought a new device...as you stated...then more than likely it will get the new version. All the flagship devices released in the past few months will definitely be getting the update. A new version of Android certainly does not make your device with an older version "obsolete." There is absolutely no reason to be upset about a new version of Android coming out. Kit Kat has run it's course...time for something new.
    Last edited by Greg C; 06-29-2014 at 01:27 AM.
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.

ROM
    Stock

KitKat has been out for almost a year. Google has had Android on an annual update cycle for a while now. Android L will be coming out in a few months. Unfortunately, its mainly the manufacturers and the carriers that are not updating their devices quickly or at all. Motorola has shown that keeping devices up-to-date in a timely fashion can be done and done well.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App
    Tim
    Droid 4
    Nexus 10
    Lapdock 500 Pro
    Thanked by:
    troshs 
    monsieurms likes this.

I have to go with Greg and Evil. Technology iterates. That's how it gets better. Most good devices get updates nowadays, and the ones that don't won't function any worse because there's a newer OS version.
    Evilnut and Greg C like this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Kitkat did not even get enough share compared to gingerbread!! So can we actually say that ktkat has run its course? I dont think so.
    When it attains a share atleast half of jellybean only then can we say it ran its course.
    Yes, Flagships will receive the update. But only those 800$ phones. Say S5 or G3. The rest will never get an update.
    Soon mi range phones running AndroidL will hit the market, and I believe the cycle will repeat.

I dont know who to blame. Google, for naming their OS with minimum real changes, or the manufacturers for holding back updates & charging close to 1000$ for a new phone with L

Global Posts
    425 Global Posts

New poster coming over from WebOS Central; Kit-Kat was a game changer for me. I bought the Nexus 7 (2013) as soon as Kit-Kat was available for it to see if I liked it. I did so I upgraded from an HP Pre 3 to a Nexus 5 after over 9 years of supporting Palm. I know my devices will get Android L and I think I like what I see so far. Kit-Kat was just the version of the Android OS that I thought was ready to replace WebOS.

I'm excited for a new version even if your phone doesn't get it, kit Kat still rocks.

Posted via Android Central App
    Banned

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts

Why would they do such a cruel thing before even all phones finish receiving kitkat.
    I felt your pain back when Google Now was launched and all the rage. I intend to by a phone equipped with 5.0 probably around January once the initial kinks have been worked out.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by xchange View Post
    Around January once the initial kinks have been worked out.
    I just remembered . The google guys didnt even sort out the hundreds of issues with kitkat, and they jump to a new version!!
    Once that is out, the unresolved issues of kitkat will just remain. No one is going to bother.
    (Happened with GB)
    ram1220 and bigmac11 like this.

Being one who likes having the new thing, I can understand the annoyance of being left behind. I still think that saying Google shouldn't come out with new software is ridiculous.
    monsieurms likes this.

I just remembered . The google guys didnt even sort out the hundreds of issues with kitkat, and they jump to a new version!!
    Once that is out, the unresolved issues of kitkat will just remain. No one is going to bother.
    (Happened with GB)
    What issues would that be

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts

Don't mind me just a idea though ... Maybe if it bothers you, try rooting a ROM of 5.0 if you need to... Most of the time android doesn't disappoint

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    ol chap likes this.

kitkat is getting old, been almost a year now.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

@ Ab304945
    You must be kidding right?
    What are all the other threads in this forum about then?
    Even google is accepting bug reports on a large scale now. How can you even say all issues are already ironed out?

@ Jaboop
    Yes. I think that is the only good solution. Thanx.
    Ive never rooted or flashed. But heard custom ROMs are more buggy than stock. Will see then.

Kitkat Reminds me of the windows vista poor nestle.
    ram1220 likes this.

Global Posts
    6,466 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

No. KitKat is not obsolete.

Are you new? A new version of Android is announced and released every year, and Android L has only been announced at this point.

ICS 2011
    JB 2012
    KK 2013
    L 2014
    GeekNews likes this.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Yes those where just V.x updates. This is an update to 5.0.
    Thus all OEMs will shift to it in no time.

Curious, If versions are released each year why does jelly bean only have >50% share ?

ROM
    Stock

Curious, If versions are released each year why does jelly bean only have >50% share ?
    See my previous post for your answer. Heavy skins mean slower updates too. Nexus & GPe devices get updated quickly.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App
    Tim
    Droid 4
    Nexus 10
    Lapdock 500 Pro

Kitkat did not even get enough share compared to gingerbread!! So can we actually say that ktkat has run its course? I dont think so.
    When it attains a share atleast half of jellybean only then can we say it ran its course.
    Yes, Flagships will receive the update. But only those 800$ phones. Say S5 or G3. The rest will never get an update.
    Soon mi range phones running AndroidL will hit the market, and I believe the cycle will repeat.

I dont know who to blame. Google, for naming their OS with minimum real changes, or the manufacturers for holding back updates & charging close to 1000$ for a new phone with L
    Meh - the vast majority of carriers and OEMs have updated their devices to KitKat. Samsung has pushed it out to devices dating back to the Note II. So not sure why you'd only expect to see 'L' on flagship devices. Manufactures do deserve some of the blame for slow updates, but carriers are more to blame. They want to strip out services, features ect and overlay their own apps so they can make more money. It is only good business sense.

As to the original complaint - try being an early adopter - it will cost you an arm and leg to stay up with the latest tech. This has always been the case. If you wait because you are concerned you won't see the 'latest greatest' then you'll be sitting in limbo waiting for ever. Tech moves too fast to be concerned with trying to worry about what 'might be' coming down the line.
    Banned

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts

because Google gets paid royalties every time someone on a forum acts like Perez Hilton about it
    Thanked by:

Because so many people buy phones with gunked up versions of Android (Sense, Touchwiz, etc.) that the OEMs have to modify every time there's a new Android update and then after that the carriers take forever to get it out to customers--if they ever do. Plus, many low-end phones might not ever get updated.

Want an up to date Android phone? Don't buy one that has a skinned OS.

And if you don't want to buy a phone that doesn't have a skinned OS like Sense or TouchWiz? Stop complaining. As long as they have your money, the OEMs don't care.

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts

You buy a phone for what it is, not what you think it might be. If my phone would have stayed on Jellybean I would have been fine with it. Depending on the next model, I would have carried it through 6.0...

I have a Froyo phone around here someplace...

I'm never going to buy another phone again because eventually, it will become obsolete. LOL
    Thanked by:
    monsieurms and Moo Cow like this.

Kitkat did not even get enough share compared to gingerbread!! So can we actually say that ktkat has run its course?
    Well, first many would say KitKat was a mess, to which you've alluded. If you search around the forum, you'll find an awful lot of haters. I suppose one answer is a continuous series of patches. Another is--replacement entirely. I think a lot of folks would be happy to get rid of it. It provided very little benefit, had few major changes, and arguably the most important change it made (SD cards) was reviled, and there were a fair share of bug reports. Should everyone just be left with KK then because upgrades won't go to 100% of the KK users? Most devices will get Android L,I suspect, unless they are long in tooth and old.

But really--I don't understand your point. Things are upgraded all the time. Microsoft is working on Win 9 now. I bought an 8.1 computer several months back. Is this cause for complaint? Did I think there would never be a new Windows version while my current desktop is new-ish and vibrant? Who cares? If I'm happy with 8.1, no one is forcing me to upgrade. If I want 9, I can get it.
    Last edited by monsieurms; 07-03-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Well, OP, hope to God the rumors are true and Android Silver is coming.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast