Suspected Virus

adammg

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Wife was using my Nexus 7 2013, she encountered a odd pop-up to download something that looked suspicious. I was able to close it in app manager. How would I go about checking to make sure everything is fine and nothing malicious downloaded?

Thanks
Adam

Last edited:

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I would try using lookout security or cm security, those are the only security apps I really know about
You could probably look around in the play store and try to find something though

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

adammg

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Ty I tried bit defender from the app store and it didn't find anything. Also checked file system with es file explorer and saw nothing. Name of the apk it tried to download was scan-for-viruses-now.apk. I canceled out when the install bar came down. Also have nexus not to trust anything outside play store.

xperia2995

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Relax.
If you cancelled it before completion, there is no problem.
This aint the weak windows.
Be careful though, this is why i never use the stock browser. Because it does not even ask for confirmation before download.

xperia2995

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I use Dolphin browser HD due to its flash support.
But its really your personal choice, there is boat, firefox, chrome, UC and many more. Try all until you find one that is good.
But make sure the browser gives you a confirmation alert before downloading. Say to choose the location to save in.

There are a lot of sites with stock browser where you visit, and it starts autodownloading "mobogenie.apk". But with any other browser, it cannot autodownload unless you give an OK.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I use Dolphin browser HD due to its flash support.
But its really your personal choice, there is boat, firefox, chrome, UC and many more. Try all until you find one that is good.
But make sure the browser gives you a confirmation alert before downloading. Say to choose the location to save in.

There are a lot of sites with stock browser where you visit, and it starts autodownloading "mobogenie.apk". But with any other browser, it cannot autodownload unless you give an OK.

Is there a setting to stop automatic downloads? This used to happen on my windows phone as well and I hated it! I thought it was a wp issue...how do I stop this?

xperia2995

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, there are no such settings in androids stock browser.
They ignored it for simplicity as many users hate annoying confirmation pop ups.
The only solution now is to use another browser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy