How can anyone like Kit Kat?

Melanie Skolnick

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
If I were to list all of the features I hate about the kit Kat update, I would run out of room. My Droid M has become a "thing" that sometimes does what I want, but typically does not, which is getting very old. Removing the volume option while phone is locked is just one annoyance. How about the new feature of randomly hanging up during a call, or fighting to use other functions during a call, because the phone assumes you want a black screen. As I type this on my Droid tablet my screen has randomly gone black and locked 3 times! How bout my email sync doesn't work automatically anymore? How about the fact that my phone basically acts like a confused crackhead whom I have to yell at while in public and look stupid? Used to love my Droid. Will be trying an iPhone once my upgrade comes through in a few months. Booooooooo Droid. Your positive kit Kat reviews must not be for actual phone and email function. I need a stable phone for my work and kit Kat has made that impossible. Bravo!

Eniqmatic

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I personally find KitKat stunning to be fair. However I do know what you mean about the black screen when on phone calls, however that's the phone's sensor. Just keep your hand away from the sensor at the top of your screen and you should be fine. Everything on my Nexus 4 with latest KitKat works and always has. Perhaps a reset of your phone may help?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to read that you're having issues with YOUR devices, but it's after all, the experience you've had. In my experience (and in most people's), KitKat was actually a welcome addition. Both my Note 3 and Note 10.1 last longer, run smoother, and perform overall, better with KitKat. Unfortunately, the nature of Android itself means that we have a myriad of different hardware options and manufacturers that like to tinker with the OS. So, maybe, whoever recoded KitKat for the Droid line did screw up, but it's not KitKat itself that went wrong, it's your particular implementation.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I didn't, but having updated to 4.4.4 the increased speed of my phone as more than compensated.

Sent from my XT1032 using AC Forums mobile app

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I never had the pleasure of using Jelly Bean as my previous phone was a Galaxy S2 and Ice Cream Sandwich was as far as it was allowed to go. So, straight to Kit Kat when I received my Nexus 5. I therefore can't say if it is worse than Android J. But it doesn't cause me any grief at all (compared with Android I at least). Having said that, I'm looking forward to upgrading to Android L but doubtless that will cause some devices problems too. Build a platform that's expected to run on every reasonably modern device and that is where the developers will end up. For me, the alternative is unthinkable (the walled garden approach).

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
My Note 2 at 4.4.2 kit Kat is great.....only thing I don't like is, in my previous version, I had an in-call volume boost button that seems to not function now.

kellyjdrummer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
<------Note 3.

Finally, I can watch news broadcasts and listen to radio without e-mail and notifications canceling the audio then resuming. Notifications are now in the background while I am watching or listening.

Just got the update this morning. I don't know what all changes have been made, which is why I'm here.

Thanks,
Kelly J.

xperia2995

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed that all of you complain about freezing, reboots etc.
That is NOT a kitkat issue, for the love of god stop it.
The manufacturers edit kitkat drastically.
I see more people who update to kitkat complain than those which come out of the box.
The manufacturers want to stay in competition so they will release a buggy kitkat and slowly fix it.

The SD card issue is a kitkat issue, not random freezing.
My LG phone runs faster and smoother than I could imagine. Since I used an old JB before

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Only thing I like about kitkat is performance but the SD card thing kind of sucks and no app ops

Posted via Android Central App

LCShark

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why everyone is mad at Google about the SD card changes in Kitkat. The problem is with the apps, not the Android version. Necessary security was added so that apps can't write files anywhere they please (including other apps' folders and system folders) on the SD card. It's not Google's fault that app developers didn't keep up and update their apps to write to the correct locations on the SD card. If you're having issues - talk to the authors of the app that doesn't work any more.

crabbz

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Not everyone agrees the SD card posed a security issue and thus don't agree with the changes. The files and folders on my SD card belong to me, not to an app, and I should be able to manipulate them with whatever apps I like. Google's changes completely broke a perfectly valid, and probably common use case for an external card. Because of this single change in kitkat I rooted my device to get control of my SD card back. I like android because of its flexibility but this isn't it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie