legacy / sdcard0 / 0 - different folders?

mynameiseliot

May 10, 2014
Visit site
This is my first post so I apologise if this is in the wrong place or anything...

I'm using an HTC One M8, rooted but with stock ROM, running 4.4.3.

I was looking through my storage today and came across 3 folders; sdcard0, legacy and 0. The sdcard0 folder stands alone in the storage folder from the root directory, however the legacy and 0 folders are found within the emulated folder.

Having looked at the properties of all 3 folders using ES, it seems that they are identical. I created a folder in one and found that it appeared in the others. I deleted it and found that it was removed from all 3.

When I look at the size of the folders, they each come up at 1.30 GB. If the legacy and 0 folders are selected together and then the size is looked at, it still reads as 1.30 GB. However, if I go back to the emulated folder where they are found, that folder shows a size of 2.60 GB! If the sdcard0 folder is included with the emulated folder, the total comes out at 1.30 GB.

This doesn't seem to make sense to me... Are the folders identical copies of one another and are just mirrors if you like? Or are they in fact individual folders, each taking up 1.30 GB?

As a further matter of confusion, ES says that the total space used in the 0 folder (which I assume is the main folder for storage?) is 3.55 GB. However, if everything in the 0 folder is selected, it comes out at 1.30 GB.

Can anyone shed some light on this, please?! It's more me wanting to know what's happening rather than something that's causing a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22