Blocking unknown/spam texts

Matt0925

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I've done a good deal of searching on this topic but am coming up with little. I have a Galaxy S4 on AT&T running 4.4.2, I am not rooted. I'm receiving some spam text messages, not a ton but enough to be annoying and that I want to block them. From what I have read after the 4.4 update many text blockers are no longer working to block all unknown texts.

I know the S4 has the block spam numbers and that I can add numbers to it. The issue is that every text is from a new number, so while I add each one I get to the spam numbers list, they still come through. I tried checking the block unknown numbers, not sure if it was after the 4.4 update or not but it does nothing to block the texts.

I've tried several different apps to see if they would block the texts, majority will let me add numbers to the (black) list but not block all unknown numbers. Some say that they will but when I receive one it still lets it through, even though it gives me a pop up saying it blocked one. Others require me to change my messaging app to whichever one I am using to block, something I prefer not to do if possible.

I know my options are probably pretty limited, but if anyone has any suggestions I'm open to new ideas and willing to try them. Heck, I would even root my phone if that would give me a way to block them. Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you!

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I know this doesn't answer your question exactly, but have you tried replying to the spam texts with "STOP ALL"?

Matt0925

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I have, both stop and stop all. I believe the texts are all coming from one source at this point, many of the numbers have similar patterns to them, so I gave up trying after having done it a couple times. That said, thank you for the idea!

WascallyWabbit

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
There are apps in the play store that can block communication from numbers you designate. Search for block calls and find the one that fits your needs.

kanesmith41

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Try using Call Control. It'll blocks calls and text and it's in the play store for around 7 or 8 dollars. I've been using it since 2007. Well worth it.

USMC 97

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
As Matt0925 has said, he's aware of (and tried) a number of these blocker apps - the issue is that the spammers auto-generate new numbers for themselves, so its a case of constantly adding new ones. I don't know that there will ever be a perfect solution for this. For what its worth (if you haven't already) it probably couldn't hurt to put yourself on whatever 'Do Not Call' list is available to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC