drag and drop on multi window NOT SUPPORTED

jacekj

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I created 2 windows on my GALAXY NOTE 10.1 ( rooted )
1: MAIL
2: DROPBOX
I click blue DOT on blue line between these windows ->select icon "hand with + " to enable moving text or images between windows .-> I drag an attachment ( JPG ) from MAIL -> dragging it to dropbox folder I want AND -> NOT SUPPORTED message pops up!
what the hell is that ? That whole concept of multi window and essence of WINDOWS evaporated from ANDROID?! :(

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi Jace,

I understand your frustration, but you need to remember that not all apps are compatible with MultiWindow, and furthermore, some MultiWindow-compatible apps do not support drag and drop sharing.

Now, I assume that not only are you rooted but you also modified your OS to allow the use of all apps in MultiWindow mode. While this does allow you to use your apps and most will be usable, some are not going to be stable and most will not support window interactions. In this case, Dropbox doesn't support MultiWindow natively, and while you're forcing the app to work that way, the drag and drop interactions will not be supported because they're not coded into the app.

You can, however, select the image attachment and use the SHARE menu to send it to Dropbox.

jacekj

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your answer.
I understand that most of applications which are not written for multi window would lack most of DRAG AND DROP capabilities.

on the other hand . I am so happy i can now use multi window with virtually all applications and can combine pairs such DOWNLOADS/DROPBOX or EBAY/EMAIL or NETFLIX/FIREFOX
and device is much more flexible and I am more or less productive :)

Having MAIL/DROPBOX pair I found out that I can quickly preview attachements in MAIL window and save them to DOWNLOADS folder ( default saving folder ) THEN I go to DROPBOX folder where I want to upload the JPG or PDF or any other attachement and click UPLOAD HERE and I canpoint any attachment from DOWNLOADS folder to upload.
It is work around but it gets the job done and most importantlly without switching the application screens back and forth.

Cheers from Toronto/

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, there are a couple of workarounds and honestly, the only reason I would consider rooting my tablet at this point is just for that, to add MultiWindow to any app. It is quite handy once you get used to it. Alas, I'm still wary haha warranty periods, you know...