Why does my Galaxy S4 gyroscope always tilt to the right (left in landscape)?

StormArt

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
My Galaxy S4 gyroscope always tilts to the right (left in landscape)

Recently, I got myself a (knock-off) Google Cardboard kit for my Galaxy S4 (now running on stock ROM after a lot of frustrations). I put the kit together, insert my phone and it looks amazing. However, the screen never stops moving either left or right, depending on the angle. It's very slightly, but enough to completely ruin the fun demos and experiences you can use, as you find yourself fighting against this constant movement.

Now I thought that it was only the Cardboard app or kit, but even other apps that utilize the gyroscope/accelerometer have this same issue (GyroscopeExplorer never stops moving either). I've tried 2 different custom ROMs, went back to 4.2.2 to try a recalibration, and then went back to stock 4.4.2 and tried the service menu, from which every test passes.

From what I can tell, before any movement takes place, the gyroscope knows where it is, until I start moving the phone. It's a very bizarre issue that I've been searching all over for, and I could only find a few others with the same problem. Does anyone here know of a solution other than bringing the phone back?

Thanks in advance,
EvoStorm (StormArt)

Oh yeah, "Windy Day", a demo in the Cardboard app, works absolutely fine. This is the only VR app that hasn't got that same sliding issue I have with all the other apps.

Last edited:

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: My Galaxy S4 gyroscope always tilts to the right (left in landscape)

I assume you are talking about the GPS in the phone. Some phones use cell towers to get a reading while my Samsung tablet uses satellites to get a location. Do you know which is used in your device?

StormArt

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site

I assume you are talking about the GPS in the phone. Some phones use cell towers to get a reading while my Samsung tablet uses satellites to get a location. Do you know which is used in your device?

It's not about the location. I'm talking about creating a VR environment using the phone's built-in gyroscope and accelerometer, and this environment tilting to the left for no reason. I've tested this with a Galaxy S3 and it's showing no sign of tilting, so I'm sure it's something in my phone that is not working properly.

Mike McCartan

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

I have the same exact problem on my nexus 5. I can't figure out how to fix it. I got some gyroscope testing app and I see the gyroscope axis turning slowly without actually moving it. Let me know if you ever find a fix. Thanks.

guillaumedk

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
hello ! same probleme on S4 stock rom. but i think t know why ! event if 2 of the axis are calculated using accelerometer, the third can't because the rotation point is far away for the phone, i think this use the compass, and with the magnet on the cardboard, it may perturb the device. i remove it cause i trying to improve that, but i think my compass is now brockend. if you have any ideas, please let me know !

Eran Galil

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I also have this problem in my Galaxy note 4 all the screen is tilting left in the landscape of ~45 degrees.
AFAIK it's not connected to the magnet - since happens even when outside of any headsets
For me it just started one day. In the morning everything was straight, then for some obscure reason in the afternoon the screen started tilting (i don't remember changing any setting).
The thing is that when the note is working on GearVR apps - everything looks perfect, but when seeing ANY cardboard app, including mine - i get this annoying tilting.
One thing i originally suspected that the Gyro was damaged physically in the phone, but it seems a long-shot.
I've tried numerous Gyro calibration methods and none worked.

Any has other ideas how to get this solved ?

riverrapids22

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
I also have this problem in my Galaxy note 4 all the screen is tilting left in the landscape of ~45 degrees.
AFAIK it's not connected to the magnet - since happens even when outside of any headsets
For me it just started one day. In the morning everything was straight, then for some obscure reason in the afternoon the screen started tilting (i don't remember changing any setting).
The thing is that when the note is working on GearVR apps - everything looks perfect, but when seeing ANY cardboard app, including mine - i get this annoying tilting.
One thing i originally suspected that the Gyro was damaged physically in the phone, but it seems a long-shot.
I've tried numerous Gyro calibration methods and none worked.

Any has other ideas how to get this solved ?

I had this problem too, it just kept tilting to the left. I'm not sure if it was just a coincidence, but I turned on NFC in the settings (I had turned it off to fix a different problem before), tryed it again, and it worked! My gyroscope is straight again, hope it helps you.