Has Google invented the TARDIS ?

Steve Swift

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
My S4 shows "Available Space" (Settings, More, Storage, Device Memory) as 5.19GB
Applications takes me into Application Manager, which shows "Device memory 5.6GB free"

I can accept this as rounding errors, perhaps. But on my wife's S4 Mini, her Avaialble Space is around 450MB, yet Applications shows over 3GB free.

I suspect that "3GB free" is a phantom, as an attempt to install the Disk Usage App (155k) fails with an "insufficient storage" sort of message. Hence the reference to the TARDIS, in this case getting 3GB of free space out of 450MB. These numbers are rough estimates, as I don't have the S4 Mini at the moment, but a 2.5GB discrepancy is more than rough. Unable to install a 155k app into 3GB free is plain wrong, somewhere.

So, with these wildly conflicting numbers of free space, is there some way of finding the truth? Bear in mind that we don't have enough space to install even the tiniest of apps for diagnosis.

Incidentally, I worked in Operating System Software and S/370 and PC support in IBM for over 35 years, so you can throw technical answers at me, up to a point (I know nothing of Android internals)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae