How do I stop 5.0.2 update from installing?

TJs11thPre

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
how do i stop 5.0.2 update from installing?

Nexus 7 '12, kk4.4 working great for months. No mods, not rooted.

I accepted the original 5.0 OTA and the device starts crashing several times per day. I also dislike many UI changes, ex: their change to the notification bar. I prefer system toggles (BT, Wifi) separate from the push notifications. The update is not only unsuitable for this device, it is contrary to my personal preference. I wouldn't put Win8 on my old XP box and I don't want this on my old tab.

I have already reinstalled KK4.4 and crashes have stopped, all is OK again.

Now I see notification to reboot for install of 5.02.

I did not accept a download. It's forcing it's way back in. I must stop it.

HOW?

Other similar thread suggested disable an updater app. There is none that I see. I force stopped ConfigUpdater but the notification persists.

Now I'm afraid one reboot will trigger an install since the system update page only has one option: reboot and install.

Please help me prevent this. Thanks for helpful responses.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: how do i stop 5.0.2 update from installing?

I don't have a direct answer for you, but for what it's worth, 5.0.2 was the big bugfix update that was essentially released specifically for the 2012 Nexus 7. From what I can tell on this forum, it corrected a lot of the bugs from 5.0.1, and most people have expressed satisfaction with it. Of course, it still has the Lollipop features that you don't like.

You'd probably have to root your tablet to prevent further updates. http://androidforums.com/threads/guide-disable-ota-upgrade-nag-for-nexus-7.824312/

TJs11thPre

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: how do i stop 5.0.2 update from installing?

I found a fix seems working so far even after a reboot:

I uninstalled Google Play Services. Then I shut off notifications.

Some G apps reported error so I re-updated. Errors cleared.

Now the offer to update is displayed in the system/about/update tab, but no annoying persistent notifier, which is how it should have been at first.

I'll root some other day. Thanks for all the replies though, AC.

And hey, your top bar icons overlap. It's a mess. Touch my avatar and it goes to SHOP. Same on chrome, dolphin, and FFox, desktop or mobile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney