Question concerning factory reset and restoring settings

DaMackie

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Hello,
I have 2 questions regarding the Android KitKat OS:

If you perform a factory reset (via the settings menu “Backup and restore”), does it also wipes/erases the cache partition and dalvik cache? Or are these caches not erased by a factory reset?

I recently bought a new phone. Upon first usage I noticed that certain settings (play sound when texting etc.) where automatically turned off. I suppose this is due to the fact that I configured these settings on my previous device and that these settings are backed up on the Google servers.
However, when configuring my new device, I unchecked the box that stated “Backup apps, wifi settings” etc.
How is it possible that certain settings are retrieved from the Google servers and automatically adjusted on my new device? Did I overlooked something?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I can't say for sure, but I think a factory reset wipes the system caches as well.

Your settings were probably restored because the new phone had "Automatic Restore" checked on in Settings>Backup & Reset. You would have had to turn off the "Back Up My Data" option on the old phone, not the new one. And even then, I'm not sure if the servers would then delete any settings that had already been saved.

In the Setup Wizard, do you remember if there was an option asking you if you wanted to restore settings from your Google account? If so, that's where you would have wanted to say no.

DaMackie

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Hey B. Diddy,
Thx for your reply!
Indeed, I configured on my old device the option “backup & restore”, both backup and automatic restore were highlighted on that device. I afterwards unchecked those, but I guess that the servers never deleted the data that was already saved…
I just unchecked on my new device the “automatic restore” function, but I’m doubting if this will make any difference when I reset the device in the future.
During the Setup wizard on my new device, there was no option asking for a restore.

Anyone else who can confirm that the caches are wiped with a FR?

Grtz!