My Android 4.4.2 Mobile Data is enabled but won't activate. How can I activate it?

A

AC Question

Android 4.4.2 Mobile Data enabled but won't activate

I used the native 'Data Usage' function to set a limit for my data use. When I hit this limit 'Data Usage' informed me that data would be turned off, and it did. Further messages followed saying that data is turned off and that I should 'click here' to reactivate, but the time was not yet right for my data plan. Now that I am in a new cycle of my data plan I cannot activate it again. The 'Mobile Data' icon is green, and all settings tell me data is on, but it just won't activate - there is no little 4G icon in the very top notification bar. I have turned the mobile data limit off, but no change. I have set very high data limits - no luck. I have restarted phone - no luck.
There seems to be a problem with the Data Usage function. It won't advance to the new data cycle/month, and even if I set the Data Usage Cycle to today's date it defaults to last month. Please help.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Android 4.4.2 Mobile Data enabled but won't activate

Welcome to the forums. :)

Try a Cache Partition wipe. If that doesn't fix it, get back to us.

Posted via the Android Central App

oliwally1

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site

I've manage to wipe the cache by following a youtube video

However, the problem remains. Mobile Data icon is green but mobile data is inactive - no icon in very top bar. Naturally I've disabled Wi-Fi to test this.

oliwally1

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site

Ok, my mobile data is working again, but I don't know why...
Here are some of the things I 'played' with before it suddenly decided to kick in:

-Wipe the cache as suggested above
-Changed to a different APN (there were a whole bunch already set up with similar names) then rebooted, then changed back to the original APN
-Using WiFi connection, I refreshed my Telco's mobile app to tell me how much data I've used. It still doesn't seem to be displaying the correct values (says I've got no data when in reality I have 1.5GB on the new monthly cycle I've just entered) - don't know why.
-After that the 'Data Usage' function started behaving itself, now correctly displaying the current month rather than the previous month.

And now, the mobile data works again. Would love to know which of those things actually fixed it in the end...

Thanks very much for your help all the same. Much appreciate your time and thoughts.

Last edited: