How do I turn off automatic Android updates?

10m3guy

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
How to turn off automatic Android updates

I have an HTC One M7 running 4.4.3. It keeps prompting me to install updates that will allow an update to 5.0. I am not sure I want to install 5.0 as I am new to Android and would like to make sure the next build is stable before updating. How can I turn off these automatic updates and/or prompts that keep popping up? They are driving me nuts. thanks

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to turn off automatic Android updates

I was able to go in to app settings, open up Google Play Services and turn off notifications....this removed the constant prompting.

As for if you should update, I'd suggest looking around the M7-specific forums to see how its worked out for other users.

10m3guy

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site

Thanks. That did it. I looked everywhere but could not find that option. I will check the M7 forums (I assume there is one on this site??) to see what others experienced. thanks again

Update: I thought it turned off the notifications but it just popped up again. Is there another option that you know of that might help?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

If you turn off the notifications, it will usually "fail to prompt you" for a fixed number of times, then just update without asking.

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I turned off my notification to update my N4 to 5.0 when it came out a couple months ago and am still on 4.4.4....no auto update. But that may vary depending on phone or carrier.

10m3guy

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site

It may be because the update has already been downloaded. If the updates were not already downloaded it might not be prompted me with the notification turned off.
I posted on the Android 5 forum and was told to go ahead with the update that I would like it. Thoughts?

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Some people love it, some people hate it. Some people say it's really buggy, some say it's not.

I downloaded it on my Nexus 7 and while I love the look it really took a toll on the performance of the tablet...BUT it's a 2.5 year old device so I know the update is not totally to blame and it was starting to get slow anyway.

But because of that, I haven't updated my Nexus 4 because it still runs great and I haven't made a decision on buying anything new. I'd hate to have it ruin a great phone.