Notification sounds for battery charging

melman11

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
(LG Ultimate 2, Android 4.4.2 installed by Tracfone)

My phone is almost 2 years old. A few months back, I noticed that the "battery charged" notification sound wasn't working. I did not find any settings that controlled this.

Some time later, the sound started working again.

Again recently, it stopped working again. It used to also make a sound when I connected the charger and it's not doing that either.

To repeat, I can't find a setting for this (so it's unlikely that I turned it off). I don't think I've installed any apps that would affect it. And I don't think I've deleted any files manually in the file manager (I just got done looking and I can't find them, so apparently I don't even know where to look).

All advice is appreciated.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you reboot the phone, is the sound for that 'gone' still? Are there any other notification sounds playing? Of course, check that your Notification settings are not set to vibrate or mute.

melman11

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
Yes I have rebooted, and yes other sounds are working. That's what makes this so baffling. It's almost like the sound files do not exist in the place that the OS expects them to be, or they are not readable or etc.

edited: The Android boot-up sound doesn't play either.

edited again: The "charger connected" sound plays when connected to an actual charger. It does not play when connected to a computer through USB - in that case there's just a vibration. That may be correct behavior. But the "charging complete" sound still doesn't play and that's my original question. The LED turns green but no sound. It's like the phone periodicially "forgets" how to do that (plus also, now, the boot-up sound not playing, which ought to always happen no matter what).

Last edited:

melman11

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know about Safe Mode, I tried it - still no boot up sound and no "battery charged" sound. It's like the sound files are corrupted. (Which is what I thought awhile back when the "battery charged" sound went away the first time... but it did return. Makes no sense, I know.)

I can't see the sound files since my phone is not rooted and apparently you need root access to see these files? And, Tracfone does not provide updates to Android.

melman11

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
Holy crap, the volume setting for these sounds is the "Touch feedback and system" volume level, which I had set to zero because I thought it was the volume for keypresses and etc. The sounds in question are internally generated and I assumed they would be controlled by the "Notifications" volume level. Both sounds are back now that I've turned up "Touch feedback and system" a bit. Aaarrgh.

Thank you SpookDroid for the help.

edited to add: A sound for "connected to USB" is also controlled by the "touch feedback and system" volume level. It's almost like the OS defines two sound controls or services, and the programmer tossed a coin to decide which one to use. I can see no rhyme or reason for what things are "notifications" vs. "touch feedback and system" sounds.

Last edited:

Bonita Habibti

Oct 9, 2018
Visit site
Holy crap, the volume setting for these sounds is the "Touch feedback and system" volume level, which I had set to zero because I thought it was the volume for keypresses and etc. The sounds in question are internally generated and I assumed they would be controlled by the "Notifications" volume level. Both sounds are back now that I've turned up "Touch feedback and system" a bit. Aaarrgh.

Thank you SpookDroid for the help.

edited to add: A sound for "connected to USB" is also controlled by the "touch feedback and system" volume level. It's almost like the OS defines two sound controls or services, and the programmer tossed a coin to decide which one to use. I can see no rhyme or reason for what things are "notifications" vs. "touch feedback and system" sounds.

Mine was also at zero. And this actually worked. Thanks to whoever posted the answer to this problem. I was starting to think T Mobile sent me a semi used phone.