Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Global Posts
    461 Global Posts

Default Re: What are your impressions of Android L?

Certainly is time for me to look at other platforms, just one of the things that has bugged me for years is the inconsistent icon size for all the different apps which I think now just looks plain ugly.
    Was hoping they would of sorted that when they done the new design.

Plus why can't we have an option to back up our phone to Google drive built in to the os itself.

Think this will be my last android phone unless they add more stuff to L.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by 2:
    smooth3006 likes this.

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twdawson View Post
    Certainly is time for me to look at other platforms, just one of the things that has bugged me for years is the inconsistent icon size for all the different apps which I think now just looks plain ugly.

Plus why can't we have an option to back up our phone to Google drive built in to the os itself.

I wouldn't make any decisions based on how L looks today, since this is not the final version. In particular, it sounds as if Google is trying to get the app makers to be more consistent -- and you really won't see apps updated for L until it is officially released. If there is something within L that is inconstant, then submit an issue report. Though, since you say L doesn't have enough "stuff", then you likely have seen most of what L will ultimately offer. Just curious, other than the backup, what exactly are you wanting?

They ability to backup the phone to Google Drive would be a great option for Google to add, it would be nice to see that in the future -- though it doesn't seem like that would require a new Android version.

I can understand someone preferring another Mobile OS. For me, I've tried iOS, Windows Phone (both 8 and 8.1), and personally prefer Android.

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

To me L looks very promising, though i dislike how google is trying to play catch up with apple[the notifications on lock screen etc] don't get me wrong i think its a cool feature but, I'd rather have that as optional then anything else, I also can't wait to see what google has planned with nvidia, maybe the nexus 7 2013 can be pushed to its true gaming potential, though from a 1 year old device i'm not expecting miracles as i would from a device especially made for it.

Global Posts
    532 Global Posts

I like how they have refined the OS and seemingly made things noticeably faster, pretty big improvement in simple Web browsing in Chrome under L.

So much better than adding a bunch of new features and bloat so far, I like the slimmer OS.

Icons? Really? LOL. A 3rd party launcher setting fixes it by adding a frame to all icons like iOS. Android icons are the same size, they just don't have a frame (similar to Windows)
    Not sure what you mean by backup. If you get a Nexus phone (or GPe I assume), most of your settings are backed up. All your apps are backed up for sure.

How can 5000 new APIs coming to Android L be evolutionary?? I think this will be a revolution in terms of new features/capabilities.

not thrilled at all with L atm. hoping its much different by release in november.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth3006 View Post
    not thrilled at all with L atm. hoping its much different by release in november.
    It seems to me like the path forward is to offer heavy animations in L in preparation for 64 bit hardware and powerful GPU's that were talked about in the Google I/O. Kind of reminds me of when windows incorporated Aero. If your hardware is up to snuff, no big deal. If not this update will turn a fast device into a turtle. I feel like with the jump to Ice Cream Sandwich you needed ram to keep up and a ton of devices couldn't make the jump. L or maybe "M" is going to be the next release that really will need a new set uf devices to keep up with.

I'm not complaining, tech moves forward at a relentless pace. I'm just stating that this seems to be designed for future hardware and with the jumps I expect to see it's time to cut the chord on 32 bit.

It’s now been several hours since the release of the Android L Developer Preview Images. Undoubtedly, many of you reading this have already loaded the preview firmware onto your Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 (2013). However, not everyone is lucky enough to own one of these devices–and even if you have an N5 or N7 by your side, you may not be willing to wipe your data in order to flash test images.

In the time since release, we’ve been poking and prodding at the Android L Developer Preview firmware on a Nexus 5 to see how far Google has come with L and where there’s still room for improvement. Head past the break to see our initial impressions.

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

Any updates on your feelings with L?
    I installed it yesterday on a Nexus 7 a have mixed feelings. Visually I found the old icons and new paper design inconsistent.

I hope the final version will be fast and stable... indispensable to me.

I'm excited still. Used preview and enjoyed it. I like where Google is going with Android. Will have to grow on people like iOS 7 had to grow on people.

Posted via Nexus 5 using the Android Central App

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grininja View Post
    Any updates on your feelings with L?
    I installed it yesterday on a Nexus 7 a have mixed feelings. Visually I found the old icons and new paper design inconsistent.
    That was one of the weird things to me, when I tried it. It appears they aren't going to release the new icons or update most apps until L is released.

I ran L for a couple of months on my Nexus 5 before re-flashing back to KitKat. I thought it was cleaner looking. And the settings menu was miles better than the old version.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Stock

I hate the new app opening animation.

Posted from my LG G2
    Phone: LG G2
    Android Version: 4.2.2
    Rom Version: Stock

Tablet: Motorola Xoom
    Android Version: 4.0.4
    Rom Version: Stock

Retired: Htc Evo 4G
    Htc Evo 3d
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Lollipop is actually supposed to support really low-end hardware, they've been working on doing that since KitKat.

So wait, what is this new messenger app in 5.0? Is it going to replace hangouts? Check the screencaps:

What are your impressions of Android L?-screenshot-2014-10-15-16.07.45.pngWhat are your impressions of Android L?-screenshot-2014-10-15-16.05.30.png

Anywho, I'm really excited about the fact that 5.0 has all this new seamless stuff in addition to looking really good and being able to perform well on low end devices. I've been seeing a lot of animations on the new google apps on the Android website and they all look great! Can't wait for the new developer preview on the 17th.

I'd like to see a dark Lollipop them for Super AMOLED smartphones

what platform are you gonna go to?

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

I am disappointed.. The one feature I wanted to see was cloud based backups for apps. The one thing been missing from Android for years and IMO has much more priority than redesigning the UI etc..

I upgrade every two years, sometimes I need to restore.. I have multiple devices.. What I want to see is
    a) When I get a new phone or have to restore it will restore my apps with their data
    b) If I have the same app on both tablet and phone I want the app data to be synced between devices.

Cmon Apple has had a) for years now.. Google seem to miss some of the most useful things for so long. Remember when you couldn't zoom in on emails in the gmail app? We got it finally but after so long a wait.. This seems to be the same story. You want to encourage people to keep upgrading by making it easier to keep apps with new data on new devices makes it so much easier..

Thumbs down for me..

Quote Originally Posted by icanfly77 View Post
    I am disappointed.. The one feature I wanted to see was cloud based backups for apps. The one thing been missing from Android for years and IMO has much more priority than redesigning the UI etc..

I upgrade every two years, sometimes I need to restore.. I have multiple devices.. What I want to see is
    a) When I get a new phone or have to restore it will restore my apps with their data
    b) If I have the same app on both tablet and phone I want the app data to be synced between devices.

Cmon Apple has had a) for years now.. Google seem to miss some of the most useful things for so long. Remember when you couldn't zoom in on emails in the gmail app? We got it finally but after so long a wait.. This seems to be the same story. You want to encourage people to keep upgrading by making it easier to keep apps with new data on new devices makes it so much easier..

Thumbs down for me..
    This is on the list of new features. Tap & go: instant set up of your new Android phone or tablet by simply tapping it to your old one (requires NFC)

The inclusion of flappy bird might be a deal killer for me.

Is it me or the dialer app in android 5.0 is not snappy enough?

Question Re: What are your impressions of Android L?

Is it just my Nexus that has a huge bug when plugged? When I want to turn the screen back on when plugged, the screen flashes and I can't do anything unless the phone is unplugged.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Rittenhouse View Post
    So wait, what is this new messenger app in 5.0? Is it going to replace hangouts? Check the screencaps:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2014-10-15 at 16.07.45.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	141232Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2014-10-15 at 16.05.30.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	141233

Anywho, I'm really excited about the fact that 5.0 has all this new seamless stuff in addition to looking really good and being able to perform well on low end devices. I've been seeing a lot of animations on the new google apps on the Android website and they all look great! Can't wait for the new developer preview on the 17th.
    A Google spokesperson confirmed to AP that it's a standalone SMS/MMS client and will remain separate from Hangouts. For those looking to see it in action, the second image is from the end of this screen recording: https://android.com/new/videos/phones-animation.webm

Quote Originally Posted by bahamut zero View Post
    Is it me or the dialer app in android 5.0 is not snappy enough?
    Animation speed or input response? I think I'll be dialing up the animation speed a bit.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast