Gotta admit I'm pretty disappointed in Google IO 2014

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
There were a few things I was REALLY hoped to hear about today and Google failed to mention anything about any of them.

• Update to Google Voice...NOTHING
  • Update to Hangouts web app. Specifically allowing users to SMS/MMS from their browser...NOTHING
  • Information about the Android Silver and/or future of the Nexus program...NOTHING
  • System wide cloud based backup/restore solution similar to iCloud for the iPhone. Ability to restore apps, home screens, & settings...NOTHING

Overall, I liked what Google did talk about but thought they left out a lot of important items that were expected to be addressed.

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Well it was a developer preview. I feel like Hangouts will definitely become more fully functioned and work a la iMessage at some point in the future. And I have a feeling that, with EV leaks jumping the gun on Android Silver rumors, we might not be too far off before we know what's going on there for sure.

I didn't really expect Google to unveil this much but it's definitely a very good teaser for what's to come. Google does a great job of listening when it comes to the Android platform - and i feel like many of your grievances will be addressed soon enough.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

shamefulzero

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Im Disappointed too. I was looking forward to today, and i think it was a huge fail. First off. why "L" to lazy to continue the sweets scheme? I think android looks very plain now. ICS 4.0 was awesome. all the way through 4.4 kitkat. Thats another thing. We no longer have a number? The onscreen buttons are ok, but the onscreen buttons in ics were awesome.

I think its time to get andy rubin back. anyone agree?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Im Disappointed too. I was looking forward to today, and i think it was a huge fail. First off. why "L" to lazy to continue the sweets scheme? I think android looks very plain now. ICS 4.0 was awesome. all the way through 4.4 kitkat. Thats another thing. We no longer have a number? The onscreen buttons are ok, but the onscreen buttons in ics were awesome.

I think its time to get andy rubin back. anyone agree?

L is simply a code name. It will likely be Lollipop or something. There will definitely be a version number though.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The entire point of IO is providing developers with tools, ideas, themes and encouragement to develop for the upcoming products. It's not really about releasing devices or apps. That's a side effect, but most of the big upgrades come when new software is released to the public, not in developer previews.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
L is simply a code name. It will likely be Lollipop or something. There will definitely be a version number though.

Yeah, the name will be announced when they actually release.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes there was a lot to enjoy at the keynote. It's more like a "Was that IT?" kinda feeling. After the last couple of I/Of events and yes I mean EVENTS. This was a very bland yawnfest.
I for one wanted a proper update to a merged Hangouts/Google Voice. It was bad enough that a good bit of functionality was lost in May. The Hangouts app on IOS is more advanced than that on Android. Now if from what was not mentioned today. We who are the loyal Google faithful. Will have to wait until October for L and a new Nexus/Silver phone before this all gets sorted out. I know "They could do an update" is a possibility. Thing is a change like this would need an event. Since it won't be here the next one is months away.

Oh well, Google you muffed this one a bit.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Thats another thing. We no longer have a number?

Pretty sure one of the speakers later in the day specifically called it 5.0. It was kind of quiet, in the middle of a sentence, and not emphasized at all, so if you weren't paying a whole lot of attention you could've missed it, but I remember him saying it. I want to say it was during "Google Play Services Rocks!" but it might've been "Wearable Computing with Google." I really don't remember which, but it wasn't in the Fireside Chat.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
It seemed like they were introducing things that Apple showed at WWDC. Things like continuity and actionable notifications. Even copied 64-bit, which Apple had last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they are not copying 64 bit...... That is a natural progression

and if you watched the apple keynote most of the new features everyone said were copied from android

frankly this is a good thing that the major platforms are offering similar experiences android is still the open source solution but offering a lot of functionality people want out of consumption devices. i am happy to see keyboards on the iphone and continuity on android. I am happy both offer comprehensive entertainment and business experiences with good security for enterprise. They both still offer their own advantages which is a good thing but for the most part you really do not have to sacrifice you can just pick your preference.

And i was very happy to see the android one program i hope they bring this to the US as well.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
"and if you watched the apple keynote most of the new features everyone said were copied from android"

What features were copied?

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
they are not copying 64 bit...... That is a natural progression

and if you watched the apple keynote most of the new features everyone said were copied from android

frankly this is a good thing that the major platforms are offering similar experiences android is still the open source solution but offering a lot of functionality people want out of consumption devices. i am happy to see keyboards on the iphone and continuity on android. I am happy both offer comprehensive entertainment and business experiences with good security for enterprise. They both still offer their own advantages which is a good thing but for the most part you really do not have to sacrifice you can just pick your preference.

And i was very happy to see the android one program i hope they bring this to the US as well.

Yeh, I did notice that a lot of the features were introduced on iOS recently or in the past. And then tons of stuff introduced on iOS 7 and 8 were introduced on Android previously too.

Nowadays all platforms are quite similar, and customers can have a decent experience everywhere. They choice is almost totally relegated to ecosystem investment and aesthetic preferences. That´s a good thing.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If you want to have a discussion about android vs ios, put a new thread in phone wars and I can merge it to the ongoing discussions already in place for that. Please don't highjack other people's threads.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
There were a few things I was REALLY hoped to hear about today and Google failed to mention anything about any of them.

• Update to Google Voice...NOTHING
  • Update to Hangouts web app. Specifically allowing users to SMS/MMS from their browser...NOTHING
  • Information about the Android Silver and/or future of the Nexus program...NOTHING
  • System wide cloud based backup/restore solution similar to iCloud for the iPhone. Ability to restore apps, home screens, & settings...NOTHING

Overall, I liked what Google did talk about but thought they left out a lot of important items that were expected to be addressed.

Everything that I read said not to expect anything about Android Silver or Nexus.

I did think something might come up for Google Voice, but wasn't holding my breath. This isn't the place for that kind of thing.

It seems like a lot of the things you mentioned are very "small" when I/O is about "BIG" things with huge scopes that affect the entire ecosystem.

Android apps on ChromeOS, Material design, the talk of Android L, Android TV, Android Car, etc. (there are others but those came to mind first)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
It seemed like they were introducing things that Apple showed at WWDC. Things like continuity and actionable notifications. Even copied 64-bit, which Apple had last year.

The events were two weeks apart. There's no way Google would have been able to develop and implement the features that Apple displayed at WWDC.

Is it possible that they both have been working on this for a long time? 😮

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678