Gotta admit I'm pretty disappointed in Google IO 2014

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Im Disappointed too. I was looking forward to today, and i think it was a huge fail. First off. why "L" to lazy to continue the sweets scheme? I think android looks very plain now. ICS 4.0 was awesome. all the way through 4.4 kitkat. Thats another thing. We no longer have a number? The onscreen buttons are ok, but the onscreen buttons in ics were awesome.

I think its time to get andy rubin back. anyone agree?
LName.png

MARKxD

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Well, the only thing which is not said in this topic and I am amazed about (nah, actually it frustrates me) that Google how easily wasted three hours on NOTHING. I mean, the material design is not bad, the other thing shown was pretty interesting too, but three hours? Come on Google.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Seems like the keynote had all sorts of meat for developers. If I were a developer, I would be very excited about these new possibilities. 5,000 new APIs in the next release alone? More info on Wear, and Nike opening up their Fuel number for use by others? Android Auto? Seems like it was an excellent keynote for the start of a developer's conference, where the majority of attendees are developers.

If I were a consumer in attendance expecting product reveals, maybe I'd be upset that I didn't do my homework and research exactly what a developer's conference entails.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Well, the only thing which is not said in this topic and I am amazed about (nah, actually it frustrates me) that Google how easily wasted three hours on NOTHING. I mean, the material design is not bad, the other thing shown was pretty interesting too, but three hours? Come on Google.

See post above.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Well, the only thing which is not said in this topic and I am amazed about (nah, actually it frustrates me) that Google how easily wasted three hours on NOTHING.

If you're looking for product announcements, you'll probably see the manufacturers doing those later in the summer or in the fall. I think we should be expecting successors to the Motorola Moto X and Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The entire point of IO is providing developers with tools, ideas, themes and encouragement to develop for the upcoming products. It's not really about releasing devices or apps. That's a side effect, but most of the big upgrades come when new software is released to the public, not in developer previews.
This^. Expectations can range from all facets; however, understanding some of the fundamentals of I/O, helps put a proper perspective on what the event is about.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gentleman, We're not kidding about derailing the thread with the ios vs android stuff. Further occurrences will be dealt with by infractions.

Nexus through spacetime.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
L is simply a code name. It will likely be Lollipop or something. There will definitely be a version number though.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

They could totally stand to drop the 'candy van' naming scheme.

L seems bland, even a bit awful. Cmon Canonical, time to do something useful!

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Man, I hope Google Voice isn't done. I try to avoid Hangouts as much as I can. I can't even send a picture through Hangouts on my phone because it requires that I have a Google+ account. I can't even login to the iOS app for the same reason.

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Io is also for previewing other things too not just for developers

No. It is first and foremost a Developer's conference. Any new hardware introduced, if any, is for the purpose of developers getting a jump on developing new apps or porting their apps to the new API's and hardware. I/O has never been geared towards consumers.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If I were a consumer in attendance expecting product reveals, maybe I'd be upset that I didn't do my homework and research exactly what a developer's conference entails.

This. Very much this.

Let's see what they announced:

• New version of Android with a whole slew of design and UI changes
  • Android Wear officially launched with 2 (or 3 depending on how you see it) devices from major marks
  • New automotive mobile platform launched
  • New smart TV platform launched
  • New global program to make GOOD smartphones inexpensive and accessible to a much wider global audience.

But they didn't let you make voice calls from Hangouts so it sucked? OMG..... MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
This. Very much this.

• Android Wear officially launched with 2 (or 3 depending on how you see it) devices from major marks
  • New global program to make GOOD smartphones inexpensive and accessible to a much wider global audience.

But they didn't let you make voice calls from Hangouts so it sucked? OMG..... MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME

Oh, my friend, you should go back and do your homework. Whether it's technically a developer conference or not is not the point. The history of the event, and the keynote in particular, is that they release new products, applications, and services for the mainstream consumer.

• Google Play Music All Access
  • Google Play Games
  • Google Play Edition Devices (Samsung Galaxy S4 with stock Android)
  • Google+ redesign with emphasis on photo management and sharing
  • Google Hangouts
  • Redesigned Google Maps desktop and Android app
  • Updated Google Search app for Android

• Android Jelly bean
  • Google Now
  • Nexus 7
  • Google Glass
  • Nexus Q (even though it was soon scrapped)

• Google Music
  • Android Ice Cream Sandwich
  • Chromebooks

And all that just within the last 3 years preceding this one. So just b/c I/O is technically a developers conference, if you don't think Google has historically released consumer products then you're simply not paying attention. The event gets the press attention it does BECAUSE it's not only meant for developers.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh, my friend, you should go back and do your homework.

I did... they DID announce consumer products. No, not apps.... entire PLATFORMS... cars, TVs, wearables, you name it. Big picture stuff.

And you can't get more mainstream consumer than... "Oh, yeah, your Android Wear smartwatch's alarm wakes you up and tells you that you might have a thunderstorm this afternoon, check your news feed on your Android TV while you get a quick workout using Google Fit... hop in your car and Android Auto will tell you to avoid I-495 as there is a lane closure and update your route to save you 15 minutes."

!!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I get the point above, but in the interests of accuracy: ice cream sandwich was announced about five months after Google io in 2011.

Nexus through spacetime.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
This. Very much this.

Only the last one on the list barely even qualifies as news at this point, and I doubt it will affect the "first market" so much as try to reign in the manufacturers in certain countries.

Oh, my friend, you should go back and do your homework. Whether it's technically a developer conference or not is not the point. The history of the event, and the keynote in particular, is that they release new products, applications, and services for the mainstream consumer.

• Google Play Music All Access
  • Google Play Games
  • Google Play Edition Devices (Samsung Galaxy S4 with stock Android)
  • Google+ redesign with emphasis on photo management and sharing
  • Google Hangouts
  • Redesigned Google Maps desktop and Android app
  • Updated Google Search app for Android

• Android Jelly bean
  • Google Now
  • Nexus 7
  • Google Glass
  • Nexus Q (even though it was soon scrapped)

• Google Music
  • Android Ice Cream Sandwich
  • Chromebooks

And all that just within the last 3 years preceding this one. So just b/c I/O is technically a developers conference, if you don't think Google has historically released consumer products then you're simply not paying attention. The event gets the press attention it does BECAUSE it's not only meant for developers.

About three of the pigs on that long list even flew. Which nicely dovetails with Google's very pedestrian failure rate for major initiatives ala Gears and Wave and so many others.

I did... they DID announce consumer products. No, not apps.... entire PLATFORMS... cars, TVs, wearables, you name it. Big picture stuff.

And you can't get more mainstream consumer than... "Oh, yeah, your Android Wear smartwatch's alarm wakes you up and tells you that you might have a thunderstorm this afternoon, check your news feed on your Android TV while you get a quick workout using Google Fit... hop in your car and Android Auto will tell you to avoid I-495 as there is a lane closure and update your route to save you 15 minutes."

!!

And if it behaves anything like their preview tech it will be a nightmare of misunderstood context and repeating ourselves ad nauseum. The future is NOT now and it is NOT ready for the living room. I'll get excited when they figure out a few more pieces of the puzzle.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Did you seriously just say that?

I surely did. Do you have an answer?
Actually, I'm thinking that Google copied Apple just as much, or more, this time. But this is not a Google versus Apple thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: