does Android L = Android 5.0?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Well L is after K and as Android goes they name it after a candy in alphabetical order. But it doesn't mean 5.0 yet. ICS JB and KK were all 4.x versions. Likely just Android 4.5

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Nobody knows for sure, but probably.

So far, with the exception of 1.x to 2.x, each integer increase has represented a spread to or change in the handling of a device type. 3.0 was tablets only (later used on Google TV), 4.0 unified tablets and phones, 5.0 would make sense with the spread to wear and the car. It begs the question of what 6.0 might spread to?

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So far, with the exception of 1.x to 2.x, each integer increase has represented a spread to or change in the handling of a device type. 3.0 was tablets only (later used on Google TV), 4.0 unified tablets and phones, 5.0 would make sense with the spread to wear and the car. It begs the question of what 6.0 might spread to?

Reading about 2.x makes me miss my Motorola Droid. That phone was a beast.

Posted via Android Central App

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
To drastic of a change to be a point release. I say it's gonna be 5.0 Leinenkugel.

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Jerry on the rationale that since L is 50 in Roman numerals, we can probably expect Android L to be 5.0. This is a UI redesign, so wouldn't it also make sense for it to move to a new integer, similar to how Ice Cream Sandwich's UI redesign moved Android from 2.3/3.x to 4.0?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Jerry on the rationale that since L is 50 in Roman numerals, we can probably expect Android L to be 5.0. This is a UI redesign, so wouldn't it also make sense for it to move to a new integer, similar to how Ice Cream Sandwich's UI redesign moved Android from 2.3/3.x to 4.0?

So far (since 2010) moving between integers has represented expansion to new platforms. I'd be very surprised if this wasn't 5.0, but I have no idea what the L and 50 would have to do with anything... since that wasn't used in any letter combination so far.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
So far (since 2010) moving between integers has represented expansion to new platforms. I'd be very surprised if this wasn't 5.0, but I have no idea what the L and 50 would have to do with anything... since that wasn't used in any letter combination so far.

Agreed, and L also follows K.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Not that it has any serious effect on the nomenclature, but it seems to be a natural thought, at least to me. I think this is a major enough update to warrant a move to 5.0. I hadn't considered the point about new platforms but that all but certifies it IMO.

helspawn

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
They said it's one of the biggest Android changeover since it was launched...

I think it's definitely 5.0 this time!

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
They said it's one of the biggest Android changeover since it was launched...

I think it's definitely 5.0 this time!

Most of the changes with Android L are cosmetic. The added APIs and new features are numerous but none of what KitKat changed and brought to the table are being changed. You could literally take the KK and L updates and bundle them and neither would conflict. So to the user L seems huge so it is an easy point to embellish but KK was a much larger change to the inner working of the OS.

Not sure about most of you but the look of Android is not the most important element for me.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Most of the changes with Android L are cosmetic. The added APIs and new features are numerous but none of what KitKat changed and brought to the table are being changed. You could literally take the KK and L updates and bundle them and neither would conflict. So to the user L seems huge so it is an easy point to embellish but KK was a much larger change to the inner working of the OS.

Not sure about most of you but the look of Android is not the most important element for me.

Google is telling us that L is the largest change to date. Of course, they're not going to mention if it's the 2nd or 3rd biggest change, etc they have to sell it a little.. but just curious why do you think it is not that big of a change?

Evoken

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I think it will definitely be 5.0. The redesign, new features and expansion to new form factors, I think, should make this a full point release.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Don't know for sure, but I think it will be.

Android 2.0 brought design changes to Android, as did 3.0 and 4.0 (even though both 3.0 and 4.0 were based off the holo theme). However this new L release looks like again a big visual change from the previous versions. Enough to warrant it the 5.0 label.

But who knows. Google might come out and just label it as 4.5.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Google is telling us that L is the largest change to date. Of course, they're not going to mention if it's the 2nd or 3rd biggest change, etc they have to sell it a little.. but just curious why do you think it is not that big of a change?

To me it seem more like Google took a massive Android update and cut it into 2 parts KK and L. Which is probably the safe way to go but I would only consider each update very large just not one of their biggest.

After reading the whole thread I do agree L is likely 5.0.

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Most of the changes with Android L are cosmetic.
These don't feel cosmetic:
Burst-mode camera APIs
H.265
NDK media APIs TV input framework
Low latency audio recording audio patch panel
Improved AV sync
USB audio
Cast receiver hardware assisted hot word
ART
64-bit trusted execution environment
Volta
Improved battery stats, predicted time remaining