What apps aren't working in Android L?

Arqs

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
-Wunderlist For Education
-Greenify
-Poweramp Skin KK/JB/ICS (when I used it Poweramp got crazy)
-Muzei (*Sorry, my mistake... The FC are depending on the plug-in your using, at least I think it's because of that)
-Trivia Crack
-AppGratis
-Money Lover (only when you enter in "My Account Manager")

Last edited:

Martin Disch

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
The problem is that the developers of those apps will not hurry to fix it, because almost nobody except some geeks and developers have Android L
I disagree, developers will hurry because L will eventually be released and they have to be done when that happens. That's exactly what the developer preview is for, right?

But I wonder too, if or how the preview will be updated. OTAs would be so nice.

JBoen#AC

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
We're coming around on 24 hours since the first Android L Developer Preview build was released, and while everyone is getting into it and seeing what's new, one of the clear (and expected) issues is compatibility with third-party apps. Some apps perform poorly, others don't look right and some downright just don't run at all. Some apps that we've come across that won't run on Android L:

• Dropbox
  • Google Docs
  • Google Sheets
  • Slack
  • Twitter (official app)
  • Cut the Rope Time Travel
  • WatchESPN

Of course you've likely used far more apps than these and found some that aren't working, so go ahead and let everyone know which apps are still inoperable in Android L. Hopefully this thread can turn into a useful tool where people can check in on their favorite apps and see what's working.
No dropbox, bbm, whatsapp, definitely not gonna hurt ma baby

a2Squard

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Facebook works fine for me (I'm using the alpha builds though)
LightFlow also works for me - though it took a little bit

MMS doesn't work through Hangouts -- I've tweaked APNs and toggled Airplane mode and though I get the notification to download the MMS, nothing comes through (I'm on AT&T)

marktech

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Ligt flow causes a lot of trouble for me, causing a reboot and bootloops after. I contacted the developper, he experienced it too. And hes working on it.

BillLee3

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
In addition to ones already mentioned:

Need for Speed Most Wanted
Real Racing 3
Dead Trigger 2
Homerun Battle 3D
FIFA 14
HBO Go
MAX Go
BSPlayer
MoboPlayer

Note: VPlayer IS working for video for me using hardware acceleration, but had to up the buffer to get a/v sync.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Comman Problems with Android L

Hi. I am curious about android L and I really wanna use it but nexus 5 is my only phone. I am interested in developing android program like an hobiest . If I have my phone , it will be huge problem for.So I am asking for common problems on beta. Are popular apps like Whatsapp,facebook,snapchat,foursquare OK? Is there a rebooting problem or something similar?

I installed L on my only device. Twitter doesn't work, so I go to the web for it. Facebook comments don't bother me too much either. I do most of my facebooking on tablet anyway. Most of the phone specific functions (calling, text based texting) work fine and the OS is far less buggy than I expected (I'm a test engineer by trade). Sure, it's not recommended, but I think "shouldn't" is strong language. I've worked with some buggy builds in various software, and Android L is one of the better ones.

Sydney Rodrigues

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
For some reason I'm not able to play videos (mp4 format) using es file explorer. The same videos don't work through the photos app , vlc beta app either. The videos worked fine on KitKat. Not sure who else is facing this.

Posted via Android Central App

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Facebook works fine for me (I'm using the alpha builds though)
LightFlow also works for me - though it took a little bit

MMS doesn't work through Hangouts -- I've tweaked APNs and toggled Airplane mode and though I get the notification to download the MMS, nothing comes through (I'm on AT&T)

As was mentioned, Lightflow can be made to work but has some real issues. To me, the worst is if you get a phone call and, after you hang up the screen turns off, then you can't turn the screen back on without rebooting the phone. And then it typically will start into a boot loop -- at least until you can get Lightflow uninstalled.

I've had zero problems with Lastpass, don't know why it is claimed that isn't working.

Neither Nook or Kindle Apps are working for me. The Kindle app crashed when I try to read a book, Nook crashes just trying to get to the library.

BillLee3

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had zero problems with Lastpass, don't know why it is claimed that isn't working.

Neither Nook or Kindle Apps are working for me. The Kindle app crashed when I try to read a book, Nook crashes just trying to get to the library.

I agree LastPass works fine - couldn't use tablet without it! Kindle APPEARS to work, but crashes when I open a book.

Can't remember if its been mentioned, but Netflix works locally but crashes when casting.

For some reason I'm not able to play videos (mp4 format) using es file explorer. The same videos don't work through the photos app , vlc beta app either. The videos worked fine on KitKat. Not sure who else is facing this.

I got VPlayer to (sorta) work.

Last edited by a moderator:

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
As was mentioned, Lightflow can be made to work but has some real issues. To me, the worst is if you get a phone call and, after you hang up the screen turns off, then you can't turn the screen back on without rebooting the phone. And then it typically will start into a boot loop -- at least until you can get Lightflow uninstalled.

An update on the Lightflow issue; apparently Lightflow only crashed after a phone call if you phone is set to use Slide for unlocking. If you change your unlock to something else (none, pattern, etc) then Lightflow will work; apparently there are some issues with apps and the Slide unlock.

I rebooted my phone to see if it would bootloop; with my unlock set to pattern it rebooted once and then was fine. I suspect that I tried to get into the phone too soon, that Lightflow needs to start before you try to unlock the phone.

sustinamith

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
One of the weird issues I had with Lightflow was that it made it so I wasn't receiving a lot of push notifications for several apps. It also caused a lot of bugs when I was trying to set alarms through the clock app. These have all been resolved since I uninstalled Lightflow. As for MMS, I read elsewhere that you can fix the problem by flashing the radio for 4.4.4. Not sure if it works, because I haven't tried it yet.

TrinNY

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
We're coming around on 24 hours since the first Android L Developer Preview build was released, and while everyone is getting into it and seeing what's new, one of the clear (and expected) issues is compatibility with third-party apps. Some apps perform poorly, others don't look right and some downright just don't run at all. Some apps that we've come across that won't run on Android L:

• Dropbox
  • Google Docs
  • Google Sheets
  • Slack
  • Twitter (official app)
  • Cut the Rope Time Travel
  • WatchESPN

Of course you've likely used far more apps than these and found some that aren't working, so go ahead and let everyone know which apps are still inoperable in Android L. Hopefully this thread can turn into a useful tool where people can check in on their favorite apps and see what's working.

LastPass works well for me

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If you have a Nexus 5, just load up multirom, install L to the secondary and enjoy... When you need KK back, just boot back into the primary.

The number of different ROMs is only limited by how much space you have... Run L, stock, pa, cm, miui, etc... The app is awesome

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc