What apps aren't working in Android L?

Jonathan Simpson4

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
In the developer preview for the Galaxy S3 i9300, the WiFi doesn't connect at all and the lock-screen short-cuts don't work either. This ROM is based on Cyanogenmod 11 4.4.4 with Android L features. I was impressed by the new Photosphere feature on the camera app though, but after I found that the WiFi didn't connect, I had to flash back to my backup of Cyanogenmod 11.

Nebulic

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
How is it possible that some apps don't work? The SDK is still the same right?

Is it just because of some exceptions the devs should test?
Or is it because of the preview release?

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

Google claims to have 5000 new APIs for L, so likely the APIs that some applications depend on now need one of the new APIs. The whole point of the Preview is to give developers a chance to update their apps before L is released.

Anytime there is a new major release of Android, there are apps that have compatibility issues. With L having more changes than most major releases, it makes sense that more apps would have issues.

scipizoa

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Some devs are taking a smug attitude towards L claiming they wont fix apps until official release, hulu being one of them. Which makes no sense

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Some devs are taking a smug attitude towards L claiming they wont fix apps until official release, hulu being one of them. Which makes no sense

As in they won't start the work or they won't release an update? The second makes sense, the first makes no sense at all.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

The SDK has been massively improved, it's likely that the issues are being caused by ART incompatibility.

Google claims to have 5000 new APIs for L, so likely the APIs that some applications depend on now need one of the new APIs. The whole point of the Preview is to give developers a chance to update their apps before L is released.

Anytime there is a new major release of Android, there are apps that have compatibility issues. With L having more changes than most major releases, it makes sense that more apps would have issues.

Yes there have been over 5000 new APIs released but they don't really interfere with existing ones, maybe a few exceptions here and there.

But Google released the developer preview so that developers could make use of the new animations and textures.

The crashes are most likely being caused by ART compatibility.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
The SDK has been massively improved, it's likely that the issues are being caused by ART incompatibility.

Yes there have been over 5000 new APIs released but they don't really interfere with existing ones, maybe a few exceptions here and there.

But Google released the developer preview so that developers could make use of the new animations and textures.

The crashes are most likely being caused by ART compatibility.

I don't see why those crashes would be caused by ART compatibility, since those apps not working on L, at least those I know of, currently work on phones using ART with KitKat . The fact that every video app (other than YouTube) was not working also makes it appear that it was a change in L, and likely an API call, that causes the compatibility problems. I'll agree that there were likely minimal changes in the APIs but even minor changes, if called by the app, can cause the app to crash. In this case, I'd suggest that they made a change in a video playback API.

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
It's good that the developer version of Android 5(Lollipop) has been released. For those of us who have no other contact with the world of computing but one device, it's not good for you to try working with the beta version.

Remember, this is a beta version and OTA releases are not a good thing right now because being able identify what doesn't work is the first thing that needs to be identified. The second needs to be asking "Why?" Third needs to be, "Is this issue device specific or a system problem?"

There needs to be a "Lollipop Developers Forum" where the developers can get together and hash over the code and deal with the problems. Don't get over eager. Pretty soon now (perhaps less than a month or a little more), stable releases will be here.

For now, we know that Lollipop is real and is being released to encourage us to get involved. That's what this forum is about, the first step-Finding out what the problems are with the developer version.

Nathos Esquivel

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
sms / spam blockers are not working or not compatible with android kitkat. i just hope it will work with lollipop.
with all the telemarketers calling you anytime of the day, messaging you in the middle of the night, you can have control over this with sms / spam blocker installed in your android phone.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Here are apps that don't work for me on 5.0 on my nexus 9.

LaunchX Pro (won't start)
Make Your Clock Widget (crashes)
Tapatalk Pro (can't add attachments, had to install the regular version)

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Some apps with issues:
Matching with friends
IGN
Allcast playback
Songpop
Dead yourself (won't even open just crashes)

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Vincent Ace

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
All this apps that aren't working haven't been optimized yet for ART(ANDROID RUN TIME) they are used to Dalvik

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech