overhaul of the notifications

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok this may be a stupid question but I'm asking anyway.

One of the things that I really liked about the Android L announcement was the overhaul of notifications. IMHO, I think in some ways this is where iOS is a little superior to Android, even though they did steal it from Android. To me, the notification slide just seems to jumbled. At least with my S4 and now M8. There is no order to the madness. Persistant notifications may be at the bottom, middle, or wherever. With new ones coming in placed wherever too.

So I guess my question is, with the announcement that notifications are being made over, will that with every device, or will manufactures still be able to bring their own flair to notifications, ala Samsung and HTC.

I've tried other apps (ie Espier) but they each have their own quirks that send me back to stock.

Thanks
David

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Take a look at this blog post (if you haven't already): Android L preview: Notifications and lockscreen | Android Central

Under the notifications section Andrew talks a little about how notifications are prioritized. It seems as though Developers will now be given the opportunity to set the level or prioritization themselves. Not sure if that's how the end product will be, but if it is, hopefully Developers respect the users and set priority of their notifications accordingly.

Aside from that, I do like where the design of Android notifications are going.

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Take a look at this blog post (if you haven't already): Android L preview: Notifications and lockscreen | Android Central

Under the notifications section Andrew talks a little about how notifications are prioritized. It seems as though Developers will now be given the opportunity to set the level or prioritization themselves. Not sure if that's how the end product will be, but if it is, hopefully Developers respect the users and set priority of their notifications accordingly.

Aside from that, I do like where the design of Android notifications are going.

YES! That's the way it SHOULD be:

"Below that top bar are your notifications, now shown in a striking white color with rounded corners and drop shadows, just like cards in Google Now. Newer notifications at the top show up in another subtle animation when you swipe down initially, with older notifications sliding out from underneath and expanding down. Individual notifications can be swiped away to either side, or expanded with an additional swipe down if that app's notifications support it.

A subtle horizontal line below the standard notifications separate them from ongoing notifications, such as the status of your device when it's plugged into your computer or a weather update from Google Now."

- - - Updated - - -

Now, if only the phone manufactures don't bastardize it.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
YES! That's the way it SHOULD be:

"Below that top bar are your notifications, now shown in a striking white color with rounded corners and drop shadows, just like cards in Google Now. Newer notifications at the top show up in another subtle animation when you swipe down initially, with older notifications sliding out from underneath and expanding down. Individual notifications can be swiped away to either side, or expanded with an additional swipe down if that app's notifications support it.

A subtle horizontal line below the standard notifications separate them from ongoing notifications, such as the status of your device when it's plugged into your computer or a weather update from Google Now."

- - - Updated - - -

Now, if only the phone manufactures don't bastardize it.
I agree. We'll have to wait and see what OEMs are going to be doing with it once it hits public release.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar