Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Background apps

In android L will you still be able to close down all the apps running in the background at the same time? Hope so as I love that feature.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Background apps

Is there a reason why you'd want to do this? The way Android works, a bunch of those apps would simply restart, which takes additional CPU/battery.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

No matter what apps I open I always hold down the menu button then press the little bin icon with 3 little lines by it to clear my app list on my GS4. I just don't like my apps running in the background.

Ok, but just so you know, that can be counterproductive. See this articles for more info:

RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central
    [Guide] RAM and Android
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

So of I go on facebook, twitter & Internet etc I should leave them running in the background? I always got told to close them as I'll get viruses & drain the battery as they are still running.

You won't get viruses this way. On Android, viruses essentially have to be installed by you, so they often come in apps (mostly games) that people get from sources other than Google Play (or other reputable sources).

If an app is designed well, it shouldn't drain battery excessively while in the background. Some apps might, though, so that's when force closing an app may be helpful--but this is more of a troubleshooting step, because if you force close the app, it will most likely restart on its own and continue draining battery. With a number of apps, modifying the data refresh settings can help. For example, with Facebook, you can go into its app settings and change the refresh interval to Manual, which will prevent it from waking the phone up every hour or so to check for new posts.

For more battery saving tips, see here: [Guide] Battery Saving Tips

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

me too looking for a app which closes the background applications if they are idle for more than 5mins. This is for my samsung tab4 Android 4.4. the task manager is pretty basic and closed services start in no time from 'cache list'. I tried battery saver and still I'm not satisfied. When my wifi and data connection is off, I expect internet related apps to shutoff until the wifi or data is ON.

I would like to see from Android L a superb RAM optimiser which in turn saves battery. Also I would like to see 'contacts app' has the facility to import and export contacts to & fro from SIM card. I don't need lot of apps to run in background when I don't use them.

Global Posts
    20,991 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by 007india View Post
    me too looking for a app which closes the background applications if they are idle for more than 5mins. This is for my samsung tab4 Android 4.4. the task manager is pretty basic and closed services start in no time from 'cache list'. I tried battery saver and still I'm not satisfied. When my wifi and data connection is off, I expect internet related apps to shutoff until the wifi or data is ON.

I would like to see from Android L a superb RAM optimiser which in turn saves battery. Also I would like to see 'contacts app' has the facility to import and export contacts to & fro from SIM card. I don't need lot of apps to run in background when I don't use them.
    Even though the apps are open, they aren't really running. Android isn't like windows: It likes having RAM full.
    [Guide] RAM and Android

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    B. Diddy likes this.