L needs a dark theme

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I really don't like how Google is abandoning Holo Dark which was introduced in ICS and was consistent. Now notifications, dialer, contacts, settings are all light themed with blinding white.

It doesn't look as elegant, uses more battery on many screens, and isn't even consistent, as many places in the OS like drop down settings are still dark.

At least users should have an option to switch themes.

StutterStep

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes please. This new all white background design is going to drain my Moto X's battery life quick with an AMOLED screen having to display whites. Definitely a dark or black theme would help a lot

Posted via the Android Central App

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes please. This new all white background design is going to drain my Moto X's battery life quick with an AMOLED screen having to display whites. Definitely a dark or black theme would help a lot

A white background does not use more battery than a grey background.

Last edited:

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
AMOLED displays suffer from burn in. I'm not sure why anyone would choose an AMOLED display over IPS LCD.

Easy. I don't want a device with a back light. Sure AMOLED isn't as bright, but the blacks are black and AMOLED devices have much less glare at night when used as a book reader or Alarm clock.

I also wonder how burn in really happens. The way I understand it, the screen would have to be static for many hours. If that happens, you're holding it wrong.

StutterStep

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
AMOLED displays suffer from burn in. I'm not sure why anyone would choose an AMOLED display over IPS LCD.

Why anyone would choose AMOLED? You're implying there's no benefits or if people had a choice. You're basically asking people why they buy Samsung phones.

IPS = Brighter, better whites, more accurate colours and sharper than AMOLED Pentile counter part
AMOLED = Better contrast, deep blacks, power saving if used in the right scenario, pixel activation allows creative things like Moto Display to be possible.

However the Note 4's screen proves that AMOLED technology is still advancing forward, being able to display accurate colours too. Each iteration of the Note shows that AMOLED is continually improving in brightness and accuracy.

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Why anyone would choose AMOLED? You're implying there's no benefits or if people had a choice. You're basically asking people why they buy Samsung phones.

IPS = Brighter, better whites, more accurate colours and sharper than AMOLED Pentile counter part
AMOLED = Better contrast, deep blacks, power saving if used in the right scenario, pixel activation allows creative things like Moto Display to be possible.

However the Note 4's screen proves that AMOLED technology is still advancing forward, being able to display accurate colours too. Each iteration of the Note shows that AMOLED is continually improving in brightness and accuracy.
Have you been itching to lay that out? lol

You missed the first sentence. AMOLED displays suffer from unsightly burn in. Buying products with AMOLED displays, yet being aware of this issue is what baffles me. I never claimed AMOLED didn't offer benefits though. That's your misinterpretation.

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

Steve jobs...is that you? All the sudden android users can't choose what phone display they like? Or what type of theme they like either?

The nexus 6, androids very own device uses an amoled panel. It would be nice given this is a world of choices, where people can choose things they like to have a dark theme that coincides with the benefits of an amoled panel.

So in other words, stop trying to make your opinion everyone's opinion and understand that other people may like different things than you!

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
That's no misinterpretation, you asked the question "why would anyone by an amoled display?". Which infers you see no reason, meaning you don't understand any benefit to amoled. He didn't misinterpret anything, you left that open due to your complete blanket generality of amoled being worthless.

And I've had 3 amoled phones, a nexus s, a galaxy s2, and a galaxy s3, and never had so much as a hint of burn in.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Easy. I don't want a device with a back light. Sure AMOLED isn't as bright, but the blacks are black and AMOLED devices have much less glare at night when used as a book reader or Alarm clock.

LCD's can suffer burn-in, too. There are no signs of burn-in on my 2 year old SG3. And Samsung's SAMOLED screens on the S5 and Note 4 are significantly BRIGHTER in daylight than any available LCD screen. They have better color accuracy, too. They also have a wider viewing angle and are less glare-prone than LCD screens, including IPS panels.

Don't believe me? Google DisplayMate, and look at their actual instrumented test results.

My LG G3 is an excellent phone, but the screen pales (literally and figuratively) in comparison to the S5 or Note 4.

StutterStep

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Have you been itching to lay that out? lol

You missed the first sentence. AMOLED displays suffer from unsightly burn in. Buying products with AMOLED displays, yet being aware of this issue is what baffles me. I never claimed AMOLED didn't offer benefits though. That's your misinterpretation.

Are you suggesting a very high percentage of AMOLED displays have burn in? It depends a lot on user habits. If it was really an issue then why hasn't it been addressed yet by casual users? That's because the chances of it happening is low. LCD's are not immune either from the memory effect. Why do you suggest that people are buying these screens knowing that they burn-in...? I've used both types of displays often enough and I have never seen this based on my personal usage thus I do not consider this burn-in or memory effect to have any factor in my purchase decisions. If that's bothering you then you're just limiting your own choices. If you've personally experienced burn-in then fine but do not take someone else's experience and accept it as your own truth.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante