I used to … on KitKat. How do I do this on Lollipop?

Paddy Landau

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 5 received its OTA update to Android 5.0 yesterday.

Whilst I am impressed by the significantly-improved start-up speed of applications, I am less impressed by the fact that I need to find workarounds for some actions that were easy under 4.4.4.

I wonder if we can have a thread for these frustrating instances of, "I used to … on KitKat. How do I do this on Lollipop?"

I'll go first.

• Where has the quick setting for silent mode gone? Before going into somewhere quiet (e.g. a library or meeting), I used to press the power key and press the "silent" button (or the "noise" button when leaving). Lollipop doesn't seem to have a setting to quickly silence the phone.

• You can expand a notification (selected ones only) by dragging your finger down it, which gives you extra options. To contract it, drag down then up again. On Lollipop, I can't contract an expanded notification; instead, dragging down uncovers the settings. How can I contract an expanded notification?

• On KitKat, you could long-press the WiFi button in the notifications to toggle it off and on, or tap it to go to the settings. I used the latter frequently, because my phone often connects to the "wrong" (i.e. not preferred) WiFi point. On Lollipop, both tap and long-press merely toggle. Is there a quick-settings for WiFi?

Those are my questions. I hope someone can help me! Do ask your own.

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Hold down volume for silent mode.
For wifi and bluetooth toggle simply press the text under the light grey line to quickly go into settings.
As for colapsing notifications I'm not sure. Have not tried it yet.

jlinz20

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
For your 3rd question about WiFi.

The Toggle in the quick settings actually has two areas you can select now. Touching the WiFi icon/symbol will toggle the setting on/off. Touching the actual name of the network, under the icon, will bring you into the actual settings page like in KitKat.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I had the developer preview back in the summer, so I can't remember if this changed, but if you pull the notification shade down again, that should give you the quick toggles. Is sound in there?

Paddy Landau

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
… if you pull the notification shade down again, that should give you the quick toggles. Is sound in there?
No, sound isn't in there. But it seems from previous replies that you have to use the volume buttons.

Thank you all for your replies. I was worried that they'd be complex, but they were easy.

I had seen the "priority" notifications, but didn't understand them and couldn't remember where to find them. Now I know!

I just need to find out how to contract expanded notifications. But that's the least of my worries, so I'm happy :)

cshmech

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
you can easily expand the notifications.. But contracting is a bit confusing.. Suppose if i have two notifications, i can expand both of them. But when i try to contract them, the first one gets contracted and im not able to make the second one contract. Well this is a minor thing.. it doesnt bug me much.. But im wondering if google thought this through..?

Paddy Landau

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Simply swipe up from bottom of the notifications.. Don't swipe all the way..
Nope, it doesn't work for me. Where specifically do you start?

When I swipe up, if I start and stop inside the last notification, it flashes once but otherwise remains unchanged; if I start or stop anywhere else, it closes the notification bar.

Perhaps your device doesn't work the same as mine? I have stock Nexus 5 unrooted.

cshmech

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I have moto x 2nd gen.. What do you mean it flashes? I can start anywhere on the notifications. Trick is i don't swipe up all the way.

cshmech

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Ok, it's confusing.. it works with some apps and it doesn't work with others.. I wasn't able to contract WhatsApp and another app.. I was able to contract in gmail. In gmail I have two accounts(within the same gmail app).. One from gmail and another from Yahoo.. Wasn't able to contract notifications from Yahoo, bit was able to do so on gmail..

So it's not the order of notifications, but it's the kind of apps.. Or maybe the kind of information's Google treats it to be.. Or it's one whole voodoo...

AndroidIsMyThing

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
On KitKat, you could expand or minimize notifications by pinching with two fingers. Have you tried this on lollipop?. I didn't realize you could expand and contract notifications by pinching horizontally until just recently.

Posted via the Android Central App

hrkvalvik

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
It seems like Lollipop does not have a silent/mute possibility like KitKat had. "All" will give you all notifications and notification lights but you can only choose between vibrate and all the stages from low to high on the volume. There is NO mute on the All setting.
Priority does the same thing (no mute) as far as sound and vibrate goes, but it seems to be a bit off on the notification lights.

The "None" mode is the only one which mutes both sound and vibrations, but it also cancels out absolutely every notifications, notification lights and even alarms.

This is very frustrating! Since I got my first smartwatch (Pebble) and now the Moto 360 I've only used the silent mode on my N5. I've been using my watch and the notification lights on my phone to keep up on notifications. This is no longer an option unless you wan't vibrations.

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
It seems like Lollipop does not have a silent/mute possibility like KitKat had. "All" will give you all notifications and notification lights but you can only choose between vibrate and all the stages from low to high on the volume. There is NO mute on the All setting.
Priority does the same thing (no mute) as far as sound and vibrate goes, but it seems to be a bit off on the notification lights.

The "None" mode is the only one which mutes both sound and vibrations, but it also cancels out absolutely every notifications, notification lights and even alarms.

This is very frustrating! Since I got my first smartwatch (Pebble) and now the Moto 360 I've only used the silent mode on my N5. I've been using my watch and the notification lights on my phone to keep up on notifications. This is no longer an option unless you wan't vibrations.
Within the settings pane in the Android Wear app, there is the option to mute notifications on the phone.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Off charge time for battery. Sure we get estimated time left but not last charge time.

Paddy Landau

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Off charge time for battery. Sure we get estimated time left but not last charge time.
Yes, I was dubious when I saw the remaining charge time; it's not something that's easy to get right (especially if you're using the phone during the charge). We didn't have that estimation at all with KitKat, did we?

The previous charge time could be useful, but I'm so accustomed to the Nexus 5's poor battery that I tend to charge whenever I'm at my computer or at a convenient place. The Nexus 5 is a great machine apart from its battery.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I was dubious when I saw the remaining charge time; it's not something that's easy to get right (especially if you're using the phone during the charge). We didn't have that estimation at all with KitKat, did we?

The previous charge time could be useful, but I'm so accustomed to the Nexus 5's poor battery that I tend to charge whenever I'm at my computer or at a convenient place. The Nexus 5 is a great machine apart from its battery.

No we didn't have an estimated battery remaining on kit Kat but we did have a off charge time which I found helpful as it gave me an indication how well my battery would be performing (I find the battery life avg I've had worse). Now we get an estimation which is not accurate at all, much like windows phone takes a calculation of your last specific tasks and estimates by remaining battery (it will change constantly depending on your use). If you want to see how long it's been off the charge, it gives you the chart but you can't even zoom so its an estimate of your own.

Paddy Landau

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Oh yes, I see what you mean. Now that I look at it, I see that Google has removed a large amount of information from the screens. That's a pity. Perhaps they know that their much-mooted battery-saving mode doesn't work, and this is how to hide the fact. :(