No More Silent Mode

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Is there no more silent mode? I like to keep my phone silent with no vibrations and no ringtones for most of the day and just get notified via my LED.

I see the No Interruption mode, but I still want my alarms to go off. Does anybody have any insight?

Thanks!

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to hear about this too. I've heard there is currently no way around this and my use habits are similar to the OP.

Posted via the Android Central App

MarkSeven

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it doesn't make sense to do away with it. I need a silent mode sometimes my self..

Posted via Android Central App on The Nexus 5

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Is there no more silent mode? I like to keep my phone silent with no vibrations and no ringtones for most of the day and just get notified via my LED.

I see the No Interruption mode, but I still want my alarms to go off. Does anybody have any insight?
Can you use the Priority Interrupt mode? That way the alarms will go off but everything else will be blocked except for the messages/calls/apps you specifically allow to go through. I personally think this is better than the silent mode or the quiet hours feature available to some custom ROMs.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Can you use the Priority Interrupt mode? That way the alarms will go off but everything else will be blocked except for the messages/calls/apps you specifically allow to go through. I personally think this is better than the silent mode or the quiet hours feature available to some custom ROMs.

I just created a thread and did not see this one.

That does not work. Priority effects what will send you a notification and what will not. If the app is a priority, it will make a noise. If the app is not a priority, it will not alert you of a notification at all. You would have to actually open the app.

Silent mode was a way to still have notifications come through, but they would not vibrate or make a noise. There is no way to do this in lollipop.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I just created a thread and did not see this one.

That does not work. Priority effects what will send you a notification and what will not. If the app is a priority, it will make a noise. If the app is not a priority, it will not alert you of a notification at all. You would have to actually open the app.

Silent mode was a way to still have notifications come through, but they would not vibrate or make a noise. There is no way to do this in lollipop.
When I have my N5 in the priority mode, the notifications *do* show up. They just don't make a sound or vibrate, just like in the traditional silent mode.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Basically, though I read there is a bug that if you have the phone on volume 0 (or 1) and reboot then lower volume again it will put the phone on silent.

Note this change apparently only affects phones, tablets still get a silent option.

stole that from another thread and it works. It makes the phone reboot with a volume of 0 and no vibrate

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
mine only show the notifications I have set to priority. Email are received, but not with a notification.
That's weird. I just sent a test mail from my work account to my GMail account while the phone was set to the priority mode. The notification did pop up, with no sound. That's consistent with my own observation. Do you see no notification at all?

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So in priority mode you could cancel all notifications but still set an alarm to wake you in the morning?

Posted via the Android Central App

Correct, I used it last night. Priority mode makes it so the only thing you get notifications for are alarms and any app you specify.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
So in priority mode you could cancel all notifications but still set an alarm to wake you in the morning?
Yes, that's the idea. Alarms are always considered priority. That's what I do now - set the phone in the priority mode between 22:30 and 6:30 so only the priority notifications are audible. :)

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
That's weird. I just sent a test mail from my work account to my GMail account while the phone was set to the priority mode. The notification did pop up, with no sound. That's consistent with my own observation. Do you see no notification at all?

I will try it again. Last night I had it on, and did not get a single gmail notification. I had to go into the app to see the email. Even if it works the way you are describing, I doubt it would send a notice to a pebble in that mode.

Edit: I just tried it again and the email came through and still notified me on my pebble when in "priority mode". That is still a pain though b.c I would have to set it to what I want to hear at night.

Setting it to "none" is working like I described. No notification comes through at all unless you open the app. The best solution seems like rebooting with the volume at "1" b.c it makes the phone silent upon reboot.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I will try it again. Last night I had it on, and did not get a single gmail notification. I had to go into the app to see the email. Even if it works the way you are describing, I doubt it would send a notice to a pebble in that mode.

Just curious, what is a "pebble" in that context?

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, what is a "pebble" in that context?

a smartwatch. Since a notification is technically "off or silenced" in priority mode, I did not think it would push to a smartwatch. It does though. If you use priority as your silence, you would need to have everything off and then at night turn on what you want to hear.

It just seems like a bug b.c on the tablet there is still a real "silent" mode.

RuthC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Just used this bug myself to get an alarm, but stop all other notifications. (I was unable to stop facebook and messenger notifications from vibrating).

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I didn't realize tablets still possess a silent mode. It does seem like it could be a possible bug in that case. Or it's a bug that the tablets still have it. :p Interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith