Device encryption not seen with 5.0?

HankSchweizer

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone had any success using Lollipop 5.0 with an exchange email account that requires encryption or corporate MDM? I flashed 5.0 to both a Nexus 5 and 7. They both worked initially, but eventually both devices started to give errors saying they needed to be encrypted -even after they were. This makes the devices no good for BYOD corporate use where MDM (Mass360) and exchange email both require encryption to retain access to the exchange server.

It also looks like some devices with factory installed Lollipop 5.0 may have this issue also....see bug report 79342 on the Android Open Source Project - Issue Tracker. This may not be just an issue with devices that upgrade to 5.0.

code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=79342

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
What mail client are you using for your Exchange account?

I was using Nine on my Nexus 5 prior to installing Lollipop and continue to use it with no problems at all.

HankSchweizer

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Touchdown for email and Maas360 for mobile device management are the corporate preferred applications. I was getting the encryption error before I even added the account to Touchdown from Maas360. I even used tried the stock GMail in Lollipop and added the exchange account with that. It worked for less than a day and then starting getting error about device not being encrypted. I suspect it is being driven by whatever the exchange server my company uses does not recognize whatever Lollipop is sending as an encryption flag .

HankSchweizer

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Setting PIN to be required at startup after encryption possible fix

I now have my Nexus 5 & 7 working with exchange on Lollipop using this-
1. Reflashed Lollipop
2. Let phone reinstall all my apps
3. Locked bootloader.
4. Set a screen lock PIN
5. Encrypt phone
6. Set screen lock PIN to be required on start up (this was missing before!)
7. Installed MDM control via Mass360-all policies look to be met, including encryption
8. Installed my exchange account via Gmail

//code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=79342

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Setting PIN to be required at startup after encryption possible fix

I now have my Nexus 5 & 7 working with exchange on Lollipop using this-
1. Reflashed Lollipop
2. Let phone reinstall all my apps
3. Locked bootloader.
4. Set a screen lock PIN
5. Encrypt phone
6. Set screen lock PIN to be required on start up (this was missing before!)
7. Installed MDM control via Mass360-all policies look to be met, including encryption
8. Installed my exchange account via Gmail

//code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=79342
Exactly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12