Extremely slow battery charging on Nexus 5 after updating to lollipop

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Pins 2&3 should be connected together, these are the two pins used for data, if they are not connected together, for example if your using a USB data lead to charge the phone, it will current limit at 500mA. AC chargers have pins 2&3 connected together.

Sortedtales

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Brian, you really haven't a clue. Simply connect your AC charger with the phone switched on and measure the voltage, it will be significantly less than 5 Volts. Now connect a proper 5 Volt stabilised supply capable of a maximum current of say 5 amps, the voltage will remain at exactly 5 V and the phone (battery) will fully charge quickly.

My phone just got an automatic android update and now charges perfectly to 100% in +/- 2hrs. Same charger, cord, and phone. It can only have been the result of a glitch in the previous OS update because the issue's completely resolved by this most recent OS update.

Last edited:

Commsguy

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I would have to agree with the guy who said the charger is most likely to be the problem. I have tested a few chargers and hardly any maintain 5 volts once the current is more than 0.5 amp or so. It is also correct that the phone will never fast charge if connected to a USB port as it's current limited at 0.5 amp. Any piece of electronic kit should charge provided the charger can provide the necessary current and maintain the output voltage, which most chargers can't do.

Sortedtales

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm using the same charger (and cable), which, prior to an OS update, was perfectly capable of charging my phone. After the update it took 4+ hrs. Now with a more recent update it's once again capable of charging my phone in +/-2hrs.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
You are. If the charger was capable of delivering say 4 amps whilst maintaining 5 Volts then you would have found it took exactly the same time to charge before and after any updates.

Sortedtales

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea what the current was, but the problem's been resolved without replacing the charger. If you run out of gas do you ask what octane fuel you were using?

Last edited:

Commsguy

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Clearly there could be slightly different current consumption by the phone dependent on the Android version, however, a charger should be able to deliver whatever current is required whilst maintaining 5 Volts, whatever applications are running. Unfortunately the chargers aren't up to much, it is very easy for the total current drawn to drop the voltage to barely above the battery voltage, hence the slow charge or even discharge.

Simon Russell

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm a little confused here...
- Charge time pre-update: fine
- Charge time post-update: unacceptable
- Changes in situation: operating system upgrade

No hardware was modified. The only thing that has changed in the entire environment is the software. It should be therefore acceptable to assume that the charge time change is down to the software. At a push you could argue that the change is down to the software now insisting on better hardware.

Ultimately, of course you can use more reliable power supplies, yes. But the situation still seems verified that the current version of software (for some people) ultimately charges the handset slower under the same conditions than the previous version. Whether that is down to the OS, outdated draining software, or the OS being more choosy on its hardware is what this topic is trying to establish.

I'd still personally like to casually charge over USB ports in a work's PC and not be obsessed over replacing all of my chargers if it can be fixed in other ways. After all, there's plenty of comments on the previous four pages that suggest that it used to work just fine. Not perfectly, but fine enough.

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Simon, as Commsguy says there are many things that can effect the phones power consumption, mobile signal strength, background applications etc. the point is that the chargers do NOT maintain 5V when supply current above 500mA.

If you want to charge using your work PC's you will need to short pins 2&3 of the UBB socket together (easier said than done as they are virtually impossible to get apart without breaking them). Even then there is no guarantee that the PC's USB socket will supply much more than 500mA as this is the standard for USB outputs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Commsguy

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Simon, as Commsguy says there are many things that can effect the phones power consumption, mobile signal strength, background applications etc. the point is that the chargers do NOT maintain 5V when supply current above 500mA.

If you want to charge using your work PC's you will need to short pins 2&3 of the UBB socket together (easier said than done as they are virtually impossible to get apart without breaking them). Even then there is no guarantee that the PC's USB socket will supply much more than 500mA as this is the standard for USB outputs.

Search online for "USB fast charge adapter"

Last edited by a moderator:

Stanley Ruben

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey Mike,

me too having the same issue post the update. Earlier it used to charge 100% in about an hour now to charge from 60% to full sometimes it take 3 hours.. I dunno whats the deal.

But sure gonna take it to the service center this weekend and gonna check.

Stay put will let you know what they advice me.

Thanks for the post

Cheers

hvmodi

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Right after the Lollipop upgrade, I have been having the exact same problem using the original Nexus 5 wall charger. After overnight 7 hours of charging, it is at 60%.

I got my battery replaced, but the issue is still the same.

WEIRD THING: I use my old blackberry charger at work, with output only 0.7 A compared to Nexus 5's 1.2A, but it goes from 60% to 100% in under an hour.

Somehow, Lollipop causes Nexus 5 to draw less current from the original wall charger.

Any idea how to revert to Kitkat without losing a ton of data and settings? And without spending a half day on this?
Really hampering my productivity.

hvmodi

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
AFTER CACHE WIPE, PHONE FASTER, BUT ORIGINAL WALL CHARGER STILL VERY SLOW

Update on the problem:

As suggested on this thread, I tried deleting my cache using these instructions:
cellphoneforums (dot) net /lg/t366718-lg-nexus-5-master-reset-clear-cache-partition-boot-safe-mode.html#axzz3IF3b5equ

The phone runs better and faster after the cache wipe.

However, using the Nexus 5 wall charger from the box, it estimates a charge time of 2 hours for 84% to 100%.
Just switched to the Blackberry charger at 0.7 A, and it says 22 mins for the same.

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I am a Droid Turbo user researching battery life problems after a software update and using Qi wireless charging. I would like to offer a suggestion that worked for some of our phones and I would be interested to see if it works on your platform as well.

What appeared at first to be a rapidly draining battery, or a slow charging battery, actually turned out to be that the phone's ability to properly determine the charge level of the battery was out of whack. Still not sure why, may have been the software update (not Lollipop but a smaller update) or may have been caused by Qi charging. At any rate this was the fix to recalibrate the phone's battery monitor.

First, perform the "Clear Cache Partition" which seemed to be a major benefit. Some users do this after every software upgrade or even just as a preventive measure every so often. The first time you do it, you may have to let it run quite a while... mine took over 15 minutes to complete.

Then, power off the phone and plug it into a wall charger while powered off and leave it for several hours, possibly overnight. Make sure it charges to 100% and then let it keep charging while powered off for an hour or more.

This recalibrates the phone's battery level indicator settings. So far, my phone seems cured, but I don't know if it will last or if I will have to do it again from time to time. But, I was ready to send my phone in for a new battery until I found this procedure and tired it.

Hope this helps. I would be interested in hearing if it has any effect.

Tps90

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem with my nexus 5, and now i noticed the same issue with my nexus 7. Both after the update.

At first, my phone was updated automatically, so I don't think it's a problem of those who updated manually.
After the problem appeared, I wiped everything, leaving my phone with no OS, and installed the factory image...
and the problem didn't go away..

One think I noticed, is that if i charge it in a 2A power outlet it charges faster. But it's not practical, as the only 2A outlet I have is in the kitchen.