Updated my Nexus7 OTA causing it to brick itself and now i can't sideload it due to status 7 error

scottytwee

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello, last night I received an OTA update for my nexus 7 (2012 WIFI). I installed it and when it booted itself it came up with an error and 'no command'. I have since then done a factory reset and wipe cache partition then tried to update the Nexus 7 by sideload. I can get the package onto the device via ADB but when the device tries to install the update I get this error (Status 7):

Verifying current system...
"/system/app/GooglePinyinIME.apk" has unexpected contents.
E:Error in /tmp/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

In researching this I read about removing 'assets' and about flashing the image or somthing like that but does anyone have any idea how to get across this error? I didn't even know I had this app until now.

Thanks

Scott

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Is your bootloader unlocked? If so I would consider flashing the official factory images from Google to get past this.

That is how I updated mine, I hate waiting for OTA's and manually flashing always seems to bypass any problems w/ OTA's or sideloading.

Brerlapn

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
If you're going to flash an image, I'd recommend loading Kit Kat instead of Lollipop. I also have a Nexus 7 (2012) and the OTA to Lollipop works, but has made the tablet extremely laggy and often nonresponsive. The UI isn't really an improvement in my opinion, either, so I feel like I just wasted the last few months of useful life on the thing with this update.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If you're going to flash an image, I'd recommend loading Kit Kat instead of Lollipop. I also have a Nexus 7 (2012) and the OTA to Lollipop works, but has made the tablet extremely laggy and often nonresponsive. The UI isn't really an improvement in my opinion, either, so I feel like I just wasted the last few months of useful life on the thing with this update.
Just because your opinion of Lollipop is negative doesn't mean they can't decide for themselves. Nice thing about a Nexus, you don't like it you can always flash a factory image and downgrade it. So with that said, its worth giving it a test drive first :)

FWIW... My Nexus 7 (2012) has the Lollipop update which I flashed and it was a tad laggy at first but after a few hours and a couple reboots it cleared things up and its running very nice.

Tesla400

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I have a similar problem with my 2012 Nexus 7 WiFi.(unlocked, rooted, got into this problem while trying to flash a custom rom via CWM ) Its in a bootloop and I cant get it to fastboot mode using the volume down and power buttons. Is there any other way to force it to fastboot mode?