Encrypted By Default?

LezCronut

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
After updated to Lollipop, are our phones defaultly encrypted?
I read some article which says encryption is by default in Lollipop. Is this true?

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
That's my understanding, as well. I really hope they can fix this so it can be disabled, if desired. I have no need for encryption, and I don't think the performance of my phone should suffer because others want it---just let us choose.

doubleblack

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
As the above poster stated only the Nexus 6 and 9 are enabled by default, HOWEVER it is my impression that all lollipop devices are supposed to be by default. So Samsung S6, HTC One 2015, any phone that comes with lollipop is supposed to have it - however any device that is upgraded to lollipop will not. It's possible some manufacturers may disable functionality, but I would not bet on it.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
As the above poster stated only the Nexus 6 and 9 are enabled by default, HOWEVER it is my impression that all lollipop devices are supposed to be by default. So Samsung S6, HTC One 2015, any phone that comes with lollipop is supposed to have it - however any device that is upgraded to lollipop will not. It's possible some manufacturers may disable functionality, but I would not bet on it.
I've just read a recent report about the terrible performance of the Nexus 6 as the result of device encryption. With encryption on, the Nexus 6 running Lollipop is even slower than the Nexus 5 running Lolipop without encryption. Worse yet, you obviously cannot turn off encryption on the N6 unless you root the phone. Google needs do something about that, IMO.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've just read a recent report about the terrible performance of the Nexus 6 as the result of device encryption. With encryption on, the Nexus 6 running Lollipop is even slower than the Nexus 5 running Lolipop without encryption. Worse yet, you obviously cannot turn off encryption on the N6 unless you root the phone. Google needs do something about that, IMO.

I'm going to assume that you do not actually own a Nexus 6. Because, if you did, you would know that the performance is fantastic.

Terrible? Ridiculous...

Posted via the Android Central App

Howard Sylve

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
You have to turn on encryption if you have anything other than a Nexus 6 or 9, since it is turned on my default.

Posted via Android Central App

doubleblack

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
As I said in the Nexus 6 forum:

Everyone is talking about a solution to this problem in XDA to disable encryption, I have a MUCH easier solution:

1) Obtain Nexus 6 (apparently, this is the hardest step)
2) Don't install or run any benchmark apps on it
3) PROFIT!

Seriously, this is way faster than any Nexus 5 or any other phone out and if the only time you are going to notice it is if running a silly benchmark program which are so articficial anyway, then who cares. It's the daily experience that matters, not what a program tells you.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to assume that you do not actually own a Nexus 6. Because, if you did, you would know that the performance is fantastic.

You're right. I don't own a Nexus 6. (Too big and too pricey, but that's for another thread.) I based my post on the following results.

56dbd7c3.jpg

I'm happy to learn that you're having great experience with your N6, though. Obviously, the performance benchmarks don't tell us the whole story.