Dialer contacts display

Tareq Ziad2

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I just got lollipop on my nexus 4
On the contacts app I choose which contacts to display and works fine on there, but when I go to the dialer/phone app and to all contacts tab all my contacts from all accounts are there!!
How I can fix this and make the all contacts on the phone app like those on the contacts app

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The Contacts display in the Dialer is not the same as the actual People app. The Contacts display is more for your convenience, to see all of your available contacts if you need the list. But if you want the finer control, then use the People app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I also am having this issue as you please help us. thank you.

Welcome to Android Central! As alluded to above, I don't think it's an issue or a problem with the app. It's just how the app works. Use the main People app if you want more control over how contacts are displayed.

Tareq Ziad2

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much for your reply, I got it. But users used to use the dialer for the whole life, it doesn't make sense to force us to use people if we want to filter our contacts, they should add the contacts to display for this app too.

Thanks anyway!

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much for your reply, I got it. But users used to use the dialer for the whole life, it doesn't make sense to force us to use people if we want to filter our contacts, they should add the contacts to display for this app too.

I don't understand your logic here. I've always used the People app (now Contacts) to look at my contacts in details. I've only used Dialler when making phone calls. I personally don't think a "contacts to display" feature in Dialler would help much. To find the contact to call, I usually start typing in the name of the contact. It usually narrows the candidates down to 2 or 3 with the first few letters.

MadMadness

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand your logic here. I've always used the People app (now Contacts) to look at my contacts in details. I've only used Dialler when making phone calls. I personally don't think a "contacts to display" feature in Dialler would help much. To find the contact to call, I usually start typing in the name of the contact. It usually narrows the candidates down to 2 or 3 with the first few letters.

I don't understand YOUR logic. If I'm in the phone dialer, I dont want to see email only contacts! I've been an android user for a long time and this is a terrible oversight by google.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I go about it the same way as daihard. I go into the people app and click the number I need. This was a habit that stuck from dumbphones.

There are alternative dialer apps in Play. They might incorporate the features the OP is looking for.

From an AOSP M8

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the other side here and agree that this is not the way it should work.

I have multiple accounts linked to my phone, corporate exchange, gmail, social accounts etc...In my contacts or people app I have it set to "Customized" and only show one specific group (on previous versions on Android all I had to set it for was Exchange, but that is now pulling in anyone I've ever emailed). So I exported the group I want out to Gmail and named the grouping so in the "Customized" setting I tell it to show only those people. Works just as I want it to HOWEVER in the dialer it shows hundreds of email addresses and all other contacts that I don't want it to show.

This is annoying and I wish I could have the old dialer back.

Edit: Installed KitKat dialer and am happy enough. It uses only the contacts I've selected in my people app.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez