Pros and Cons of Encryption?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The point is, so what?

So encryption has an impact on storage performance. So what? How badly does it impact overall performance and real-world user experience? Hmmm... http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...rformance-crippled-up-80-a-3.html#post4087526

I presume you run an anti-virus app on your desktop PC - have you ever looked into how seriously anti-virus tools degrade system performance? You no doubt run Windows or MacOS or some other GUI on your desktop PC - do you have any concept of how your PC would fly if you dropped the GUI and ran nothing more than a command line interface?

But, you know what? If you don't want encryption-by-default, then don't buy a Nexus 6 or 9.

Let it go, people. There are far more important things to worry about in this life.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
The point is, so what?

So encryption has an impact on storage performance. So what? How badly does it impact overall performance and real-world user experience? Hmmm... http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...rformance-crippled-up-80-a-3.html#post4087526

I presume you run an anti-virus app on your desktop PC - have you ever looked into how seriously anti-virus tools degrade system performance? You no doubt run Windows or MacOS or some other GUI on your desktop PC - do you have any concept of how your PC would fly if you dropped the GUI and ran nothing more than a command line interface?

But, you know what? If you don't want encryption-by-default, then don't buy a Nexus 6 or 9.

Let it go, people. There are far more important things to worry about in this life.

OP asked the question. i answered.

Last edited:

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
popcorn.gif

fighting.gif
all this will do is cause
hovering.gif
damaged feeling folks.

The OP asked a question, just stick to the facts and not harangue him/her to death.

Encryption is on by Default for now.
The upside is better protection for you if you loose your phone.

The downside, maybe, is the phone is running a lot slower that it could? I'm using a Galaxy S5 so don't know.

but, I read earlier today that Google is going to allow us to turn off Encryption in the next update.

I am so worried about loosing my phone, that I am NOT using encryption, nor am I using a pincode.

It is called Caveat Emptor, to each his own. It is a choice and you are the only one who has to answer to that choice.

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I am so worried about loosing my phone, that I am NOT using encryption, nor am I using a pincode.

I'm confused about what you said here. If you're worried about losing your phone, how would NOT using encryption or a PIN help make you feel better?

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to hear from more people who have tried both ways on the same device. That to me would be infinitely more relevant than the cross-device and benchmarking comparisons that seem to dominate the discussion at present.

chefwest

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I have used the Nexus 4 with and without encryption and there is little to no perceptible difference in performance.

I have nothing to hide but I'll make it as difficult as possible for the police to find anything. Plus, my credit card and banking information is on the phone. It's just a good idea to encrypt.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i don't need to encrypt the entire phone. but i do encrypt my sensitive data. for me, encrypting the entire phone is overkill.

i use a password protected MS Word/Excel File with Strong Encryption and OfficeSuite Pro Android App to store/access my secure data in a password protected encrypted file. the beauty is you can open this file on any device from ANYWHERE in the world with MS Word/Excel or Android equivalent and internet access. both support Office 2007+ Super Strong 128 Bit Encryption/Password.

i like the free-flow format and the open standard of an MS Word/Excel File vs. a "mom and pop" Password App. i don't like relying on some mom and pop locked black box proprietary closed format that could lose support or trap my data or go out of business. and MS Word /Excel and Office Suite Pro/Documents To Go is free if you already have it.

i then use Dropbox and simply dump this Word/Excel file in my Dropbox so it is available to me from any device anywhere in the world and it is always updated and in sync - and it is encrypted and password protected.

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
On a side note, phones that unlock via your face or fingerprint etc are not protected by the 5th amendment and you can be legally ordered to unlock it for viewing.
You are protected by the 5th if you use a PIN, pattern, password, or anything that you store in your mind.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
On a side note, phones that unlock via your face or fingerprint etc are not protected by the 5th amendment and you can be legally ordered to unlock it for viewing.
You are protected by the 5th if you use a PIN, pattern, password, or anything that you store in your mind.
I didn't know that. I wonder what happens when you use a combination of a pattern and trusted faces? Since whoever wants to see your phone isn't able to unlock it without the PIN, you are protected there as well, I suppose?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to hear from more people who have tried both ways on the same device. That to me would be infinitely more relevant than the cross-device and benchmarking comparisons that seem to dominate the discussion at present.
I bought the Turbo when it first came out. Used it without encryption for a week then encrypted it. I didnt see any difference at all with performance. I dont have 5.0 yet but cant see where it would be much different than the performance I have now. I did encrypt a Nexus 10 after the 5.0 update and didnt see any issue there either. Its a pain in the rear to have to enter a pin or pass code coming out of sleep mode or a restart but after a couple of days dont really notice it.

LezCronut

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Guys, doesn't encryption-by-default only work on Nexus 6?
Mine is N5 and in the setting there is an option to turn ON encryption, that means encryption is yet to be activated.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Guys, doesn't encryption-by-default only work on Nexus 6?
Mine is N5 and in the setting there is an option to turn ON encryption, that means encryption is yet to be activated.

That's true as far as I know. The Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 are shipped with Lollipop pre-installed, and they are encrypted by default.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks